Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Messing around with two very different Nikons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

This morning I took some shots in the back yard with one of my ever trusty D700's, (manual).  Boredom set in this afternoon and I decided to try  the same shots with the D5500, (auto-I hate messing with the screen/menu.  WHERE'S MY BUTTONS AND DIALS!?).  Now, the D5500 takes great photos, I simply hate messing with it, hence it lives on auto, (unless I'm feeling very calm and willing to put up with it's hidden controls). 

No shooting info, just the finished product, (D700-M  D5500-A). The lighting was a bit different, brighter in the morning for the D700.  Lenses were different also, D700 used a Tamron 90mm f2.8 272E D5500 used a Nikkor 24-120 f4, ( I forgot the Tamron works just fine on the D5500 and used the newer Nikkor G lens because I knew it worked great on the little D5500).

D700

uxhfheVl.jpg

D5500

qDyKIugl.jpg

D700

rWjXEuvl.jpg

D5500

XBhg6TVl.jpg

D700

KyKwvhUl.jpg

D5500

TTadfVLl.jpg

D700

siGx6cwl.jpg

D5500

7L9x8uol.jpg

D700

Db3FgWVl.jpg

D5500

Yl1in0ql.jpg

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,800 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

That's an interesting test - though I think the two different cameras would have to be used at the same time of day.
I'm inclined to favour the D5500, but I'm looking at them on a tablet at the moment.
I'll have a look tomorrow on the pc.

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

I'm viewing on a 23" screen and I'm inclined to agree that the D5500 images are better.

FWIW, I have a D5600 that I like a lot.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I should have used the same lens as well as closer time of day, and put the D700 on Program.  The D5500 did get the white balance wrong on the crushed stone, it has a blue hue to it like the D700 captured.  The D5500 did get the last flower a lot better, the two white flowers above the pom-pom I think the D700 did better, the pink ''Dutchman's Britches'' I give the D5500 as better.

Maybe next time I'll include the D750 in the mix and use the same lens.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

It's nearly impossible to make even a subjective evaluation when there are so many variables involved. I'm currently using a Mac with a 27" 4K monitor and I'm throwing up my hands. In some of the images, the D700 fared better but in others it failed to match the D5500. But, then... there are a couple of cases where it looks like you slightly missed focus with one camera or the other.

This test definitely needs a do over under more rigid conditions if you want to make an honest evaluation. 

--Ron