Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon 5300 problem with dust on sensor.

nikon 5300 dust blotches

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Derry

Derry

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I own a Nikon D5300 camera.

I have had problems with circular blotches appearing in pictures. They were not noticeable on many of the pictures but were more visible when the background was a situation like a clear blue sky.

I think these were caused by dust on my sensor and I got the sensor professionally cleaned around 4 weeks ago. Since then I been outside taking a lot of pictures on 3 days but have not changed the lens at all.

However when I took some pictures earlier today the ones which contain clear blue sky still have one circular blotch. Please find one of these picture attached. The blotch is quite faint and situated to the top right of the tree.

There were some other blotches on my pictures before so the cleaning did seem to get rid of a lot of these. Do people here think the remaining blotch was left over from the cleaning or has it probably just appeared since then? Are the Nikon D5300 cameras prone to getting dust inside them? What would the solution to this blotch be? Could I possibly be able to clean this sort of mark from the sensor by myself? Would it be suitable for cleaning with an air blower?

Thanks for any help here.

Derry

DSC_0373 (2).JPG

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello,

Whether the spot is a new or a left-over is difficult to say. Though a professional cleaner will check that all spots are gone, so suppose it is new.

The D5300 is not more prone to spots than other cameras (though there have been an issue with oil spots on the D600, but that is not related)

To clean the spot, start with the ‘clean sensor’ option in the menu, as this is non- invasive and can be repeated a few times.
Next, indeed, try cleaning with an airblower. If you do so, don’t forget to use the menu option to lift the mirror for cleaning.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You probably have some dust in the rear of your lens. When you zoom the lens, these dust particles move and some of them can land on the sensor. 

Some cycles with the ”clean sensor” option might help, as Jerry wrote. Check by focusing as close as possible, set the aperture to the most stopped down (largest number) setting possible and shoot tonarts the sky. This is the worst case for showing dust on the sensor.

If this doesn’t work, it is time to try with a rocket blower. The original rocket blower is more efficient than for example the Hama copy.

Derry

Derry

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks both for the helpful responses. I will try some more times with the 'clean sensor' option first of all.

Is it best for me to run the clean sensor while the camera is resting flat on a surface or when the camera is at another angle?

If this doesn't work I may carefully try a rocket blower!