Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Should I format my SD card after every trip and other SD card related questions.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

dragon49

dragon49

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Country Flag

My setup:

Nikon COOLPIX B600.  SanDisk 256GB Ultra SDXC UHS-I Memory Card - 120MB/s.  Moshi Cardette Ultra Memory Card Reader.

I've had weird problems with the card since I purchased it back in July.  In addition to the subject question, I'm wondering whether anything is wrong with the card, or if the oddness is due to the way I've been treating it.  

When I first got the card and camera, I always transferred photos to my PC with a direct USB connection to the camera.  After I copied them over, I deleted the images on the card from my PC.  The problem with that system is that often, this wouldn't actually delete the photos, as when I next transferred photos with this method, the original photos were still there.  I solved this problem most of the time by deleting all the images from the camera itself, although once in a while, this wouldn't erase the images either.

I dusted off the old card reader to ger faster transfer speeds.  I don't know how old the Moshi is, but it is USB 2.0.  Irrelevant to the discussion, but for completeness, I have it connected to a powered USB hub.

I'm estimating that I had erased all images between 150 and 200 times since I started using the card.  Things were going well until a few trips ago.  The DCIM directory accessible from the card reader didn't have some of the pictures I took at the beginning of the trip!  I don't remember the exact number, maybe something like the first 20 out of 200 pictures.  So, I then put the SD card back in the camera and connected it directly to the PC.  Using this method, all of the pictures were available.  I had the same problem the next trip.  I then formatted the card from the camera and didn't have any problems the last trip.

I'm done with the bulk of my term paper post and will conclude with some questions:

1 - The title question, should I format the SD card when I'm finished transferring photos after each trip?

2 - Is anything wrong with my SD card, or is this expected behavior based on how I've been using it.

3 - Should I get a new card reader?  Not just for better USB 3.0 transfer speed.  Was also wondering whether something about this old reader could be damaging the new card.  Any advice on a model?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It is standard practice to format your cards when you have copied the files to a computer, made a backup and verified that all is well.

When you read and write repeatedly to roughly the same area of the memory in the card, you will sooner or later scramble the file allocation table. A format usually solves this, as you have found out.

A new card reader is probably not needed, but they are cheap and getting a new, faster one might give some peace of mind… I have used Sandisk and Lexar readers for many years without any trouble. 

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I fully agree with everything  Peter said, but want to add, buy QUALITY cards no matter what you're shooting.  Lexar or Sandisk, and the higher, faster quality of those.  Buy cheap low grade cards and you're asking for trouble.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

The speed difference between USB 2 and USB 3 can be significant when you're transferring a large number of images. I would go ahead and spend the money for a good quality USB 3 card reader.

--Ron 

Oric Man

Oric Man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

I've read that a format does a better wipe of the card than deleting the files. I think deleting files can leave stray bits/bytes. But I have a camera that I regularly delete and I've never had problems with the card.

With one camera I couldn't delete the photos from the computer and had to do it via the camera. It's easy enough to do so I got into the habit of using the camera to delete or reformat the card.

(Always make sure your files have copied properly ! )

juan

juan

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I had problems with transferring, but my card reader was old.  A new one fixed that.  I always format with the camera.  That was suggested somewhere, but I don’t remember where.

Ellinor William

Ellinor William

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Country Flag

Regular formatting keeps your SD card operating at peak performance and reduces the chance of your files becoming corrupted. If you encounter a problem or receive an error message when using the SD card, the SD card may have a corrupted file system or a computer virus.