Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D5600 LCD not turning off

lcd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

darylfromaustralia

darylfromaustralia

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Purchased my Nikon D5600 in 2017 and was happy with it for around 3 years when the battery started going flat really quickly. OK so new battery didnt fix the issue and i found out the viewfinder LCD isnt turning off, that is turn camera off and viewfinder still has image info and things flashing, that cannot be normal? stays on for hours, until the battery goes flat. 

So i tried removing battery to save power and then comes issue 2.

Images are being overwritten, randomly my last image will replace another image that is not the last image.

Issue 3 ive tried to re-flash the firmware and cannot, it will "hang" on the warning screen for hours and not update. have tried multiple brand cards.

Camera takes nice photos but is it worth taking on vacation?

here is the viewfinder LCD , is this normal to remain on until the battery goes flat?

nikon viewfinder.jpg

EDIT>i have tried a hard reset. holding two green buttons, it blinks once??

darylfromaustralia

darylfromaustralia

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Tested camera this afternoon, after 3 hours (an actual runtime would be maybe 20minutes powered on? ) and took 130 images until the battery was flat.

When it showed 1 bar battery strength and at about 120 photo mark, it started to overwrite the first photo i took, i then created a new folder and took about 10 photos before battery went flat.

note: viewfinder LCD remained on the whole time, it only turns off when "live view" is selected but turns back on when camera is switched off.

darylfromaustralia

darylfromaustralia

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

The Nikon tech just emailed me asking for a screen shot of the "updating error screen" 

updating.jpg

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Sounds all very bizarre Daryl. When the camera is switched off, there should be nothing showing on the camera.

I can’t think of a scenario where the monitor would stay on, other than an electronics fault.

Camera repairs are now so expensive, there's no real incentive to resist buying a replacement.

darylfromaustralia

darylfromaustralia

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes this camera is bizarre, it turns out its not an LCD screen but there appears to be some type of LED display that remains on until i remove the battery.

I'm experimenting with creating multiple folders, maybe its the default folder that is causing the overwritting issues.

Oric Man

Oric Man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

Sounds like computer error. Has it had firmware update? Maybe the update didn't finalise properly? Might be worth trying to reinstall update?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lcd