Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Black screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Swanman

Swanman

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
When taking a photo my screen goes black through the focus so you can't see what you are looking at. The photo is blurred because you can't see what you are taking a photo of, then after about 30 clicks the screen goes ok again. I have a Nikon D300- any ideas what is wrong??

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

When taking a photo my screen goes black through the focus so you can't see what you are looking at. The photo is blurred because you can't see what you are taking a photo of, then after about 30 clicks the screen goes ok again. I have a Nikon D300- any ideas what is wrong??

Is this just when using 'live view'?

Swanman

Swanman

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi. I think I should of said when I look through the eye piece to take a photo it is all black. Then I click away and after about 30 clicks I can see a photo.

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,801 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Ah, could be the mirror sticking.

You'll need to carefully investigate the mirror mechanism with the lens removed.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If it is an early D300 and has seen normal use, the light seals around the focusing screen are about ripe for replacement. Mine is on its third set, but I have a bit over 300000 exposures and a replaced shutter on it… The first sign of shot seals is a mirror that sticks in the up position, but goes down as distinctly as ever as soon as the seals let go of the mirror.

Ellinor William

Ellinor William

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Country Flag

Some Nikon cameras have what the company calls monitor buttons, which turn the LCD on and off. It's possible the LCD is turned off, so find your model's monitor button and press it and see if it helps.

And you can use photo repair tool like Stellar or picture doctor to repair your photos.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Some Nikon cameras have what the company calls monitor buttons, which turn the LCD on and off. It's possible the LCD is turned off, so find your model's monitor button and press it and see if it helps.

And you can use photo repair tool like Stellar or picture doctor to repair your photos.

The camera is a D300. No monitor button... The problem is with the optical finder if you read the entire thread.