Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lens Resolution Sources

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Kokomodo

Kokomodo

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Most published lens MTF charts include data for 10 and 30 lines per mm.  However, modern sensors (e.g., the D7500) have small pixel pitches and Nyquist frequencies above 100 line pairs per mm.  (I'm assuming that when Nikon says "30 lines per mm" they mean line pairs.  But, I could be wrong.)

What are the best sources for lens resolution measurements?  Does Nikon publish more relevant data for their modern lenses, or are they still providing only 10 and 30 lp/mm?

-Kokomodo

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

For the vast majority of photographers, most lens data and recommendations are of little practical use. What's more important is how the resultant images look when printed or viewed. I've seen some supposedly lousy lenses produce gorgeous photographs. 

However, it's true that many photographers live and die by MTF charts and whatnot. I don't personally have any first hand knowledge of what Nikon publishes in this regard but there is a popular website, DXOMARK, that does a great deal of lens testing. It's possible they may have the data you're looking for.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

MTF on its own is a lousy metric if the goal is taking good photos. Knowing at what aperture the lens/sensor system gets diffraction-limited  would be much more interesting for practical use. Many of the lenses that has made me the most sales have mediocre MTF curves as they are undercorrected, but the transition between the plane of focus and the unsharp parts and the quality of the blur renders better than a fully corrected lens.

One such example is the 180/2.8. I have, and use all three main versions of this lens as they all draw differently. The most pleasing is the original formula with 5 elements in 4 groups, without the ED element. It is nearly unusable outdoors in the daytime, though, as it is so prone to flare. It is my go-to lens for live music and indoor or evening events when I have the room for a 180. The Ais version with 5 elements in 5 groups is better corrected, but the transition is a bit harsher. I like to use it for outdoor portraiture and fashion work. The AF version, finally is a totalt different formula with 8 elements in 6 groups. The MTF chart looks much better than for the earlier versions, but the rendering is comparatively bland, perfect for product shots for catalog or e-commerce use.

Kokomodo

Kokomodo

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you for your input.  I fully agree with your comments.  I should have been more clear, I'm asking a technical question from an engineering standpoint, not a "good photograph" question from an aesthetic perspective.   So, in this case, I really am looking specifically for MTF data.  The "beginner" forum is perhaps not the best location for the question.

Another way of framing the question is "At what pixel pitch do most modern Nikon imaging systems (body + lens) become lens limited rather than sensor limited in resolution?

I'll check out the DXOMARK site.

• Ron likes this