Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3500 Autofocus not working

d3500 autofocus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Hackmuss

Hackmuss

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi All,

I bought a D3500 kit with the AF-P DX 18-55mm VR lens and an AF-S DX 55-200mm VR lens some months back, but for various reasons didn't get much time to use it.

I have just come back to it and now I can't get either lens to autofocus at all.

If I press the 'i' button, I can see that AF-A and single point autofocus are set (I've tried others as well), but if I go into the full menu system and go to the shooting menu and check 'Focus Mode' and 'AF-area mode' they both just display '--'. I Can try and set them here too, but as soon as I go back to the menu, they are blank again.

When trying to autofocus the 18-55 kit lens, nothing happens at all except the red light blinks in the center of the screen for the focus point - no attempt to autofocus, no motor noise, nothing.

The same with the 55-200 lens (although if i switch on the VR, I get a bit of a whirring noise).

I have tried in P,S, A and full auto modes.

Both lenses work fine with manual focus.

All kit is clean and pretty much brand new.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Have you checked the charge level in your battery? They can discharge even if the camera isn't being used.

--Ron

Hackmuss

Hackmuss

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks Ron. Yes, that was one of my thoughts, so I fully charged the battery and tried again, but still no change.

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

All kit is clean and pretty much brand new.

I'm guessing it's out of warranty?

What was the seller's T & Cs.

Some give 3 years.

Hackmuss

Hackmuss

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I set all the menu options back to factory default and now it's working again!

Glad it is sorted, but would like to know what it is that got changed that stops AF from working.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d3500, autofocus