Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Has anyone had good experiences with Nikon factory service?

nikon factory service maintenance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

StephenJohn

StephenJohn

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Country Flag

I've had 2 experiences with Nikon service and both went poorly and I'm hoping that these are exceptions, (otherwise my confidence in and loyalty to Nikon has been misplaced).

My first experience, D3500, lens issue right out of the box, zoom ring didn't lock.  It kept failing within days of the first 2 repairs.  For the 3rd repair, they suggested I send the lens and camera so that they could troubleshoot them "together", but they mistakenly "cleaned" the camera and returned it with the still broken lens (carelessness by the tech who didn't read the repair order or other internal notes).  Eventually, they agreed that the lens was bad and replaced it.

Most recent experience: I sent my D500 in for cleaning (evidence of dust on the imager).  I decided to also send my 80-400 lens along as well for no reason other than wanting my best body and lens cleaned at the same time.  I had no problem with the lens at all, having spectacular results just days easrlier at the Daytona 500 race.  While the "order" was placed for cleaning, their estimate was for a $700 repair, noting "the zoom ring is tight" and nothing about the repair request.  When I requested clarification, they said "the lens won't work without the repair". After pointing out the absurdity of authorizing an expensive repair for a working lens, they replied that the lens sticks a little but is "OK to use".   How do you go from "zoom ring tight" to "won;t work" to "OK to use" in 2 days?   

I never thought Nikon would abuse customers and wondering if these techs aren't outside contractors who are abusing Nikon (and it's customers).   These experiences have destroyed all of my confidence in Nikon.  I'm hoping to hear of some positive experiences from others.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have used Nikon's repair service on at least 3 different bodies and not had any issues.

StephenJohn

StephenJohn

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for chiming in.   I'm trying to feel better about this episode but even now as I add everything up, its becoming harder to regain my confidence in Nikon.  It sure looks like they send cameras and lenses to outside vendors for cleaning and service and that certainly invites quality/control issues.  The first red flag was in my multiple encounters with customer service over the lens.  At no time did I have any direct contact with techs - it was all messages being relayed through the CS agents.  The second red flag is that my D500 (sent in separately from the lens, but also for cleaning) is being shipped back to me not from Nikon in Melville NY, but from a company called "Electronic Imaging Service" in Brooklyn NY.  A google search of that company reveals other folks who've also (unhappily) discovered that Nikon sends their gear to this vendor.   Nikon is farming out service and not telling people.

I have used Nikon's repair service on at least 3 different bodies and not had any issues.

zevell

zevell

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Country Flag

In Australia, Nikon does not have their own service centre, instead having 1 authorised agent in each state.  In Victoria, Camera Clinic is their authorised repairer, and having used them numerous times, I have found their work to be excellent on every occasion.  Expensive, but excellent.

StephenJohn

StephenJohn

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Country Flag

My saga is getting worse every day!    As stated in my initial post, I sent my 80-400mm lens in for cleaning, they said it needed repair, was unusable and then (after I questioned them) said it was fine.   That was 2 weeks ago.  LAST WEEK, I got my D500 back (also sent in for cleaning).  Their vendor returned the camera along with a glowing report (all cleaned and functional) -- except the camera is unusable!   There are dark blotches and "hair" visible on the images that weren't there before.  Follow up attention has been a nightmare.  They requested sample images, I complied and they said they would get back to me in 2 days (they never did).   Then they said they would provide a mailing label in 2 days (they didn't).  Another week goes by and they do nothing except "escalate" my case each time I call.  I'm now renting a D500 at a cost of over $100 per week.  This is a nightmare!  Nikon US support is awful.

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

East or west repair center? I recently sent in my 24-70 G ED lens for repair to Nikon's west repair center. Other than the lens hood that came backed cracked in some places, I don't know if happened during shipping or at the repair center, the lens came back fine.
Wow, that's pretty unacceptable IMO. I hope that Nikon comes through for you this time.

StephenJohn

StephenJohn

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Country Flag

The camera and (80-400) lens were sent to their NY facility.   They then sent the lens out to the west coast and the camera to a (fugazy) vendor in Brooklyn NY.     Both were sent for cleaning and were in fine condition.  The camera came back with horrific blotching, they tried to get almost $800 from mr to "repair" the lens (which wasn't damaged).  The lens came back in the same condition it was sent, fully working.  After 2 weeks of dilly-dallying, they finally sent me a return label for the camera, and then tried to force me to pay for the cleaning again because the "warranty" on the faulty cleaning they just did was only 14 days - absurd because I reported the faulty cleaning moments after it was shipped back to me and was in 2-way written communication with them over the next 2 weeks where they kept promising (but failing) to send the shipping label.  After 2 "escalations", they sent the next day label last Saturday and receivd the camera on Monday.  The whole thing is a nighmare..,.

East or west repair center? I recently sent in my 24-70 G ED lens for repair to Nikon's west repair center. Other than the lens hood that came backed cracked in some places, I don't know if happened during shipping or at the repair center, the lens came back fine.
Wow, that's pretty unacceptable IMO. I hope that Nikon comes through for you this time.