Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3300 battery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

HollyW

HollyW

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello. I am a relatively new camera user although I've had my camera for awhile. When I purchased my camera I came with one battery, the EN-EL 14a. I have twice purchased extra batteries but have yet to get one that will work, including the more expensive Nikon batteries. The message my camera gives me is "This battery cannot be used. Choose battery designed for use in this camera".
I'm at a loss. Any help ?

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Hello, Holly and welcome.  I'm not the tech expert here, that would be Peter.  I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Does the original battery still work?

There is a strong probability that the three middle battery terminals in the body are oxidised. They are communications terminals for the built-in chip in the battery. The outer ones are for the current driving the electronics in the camera. 

You can start by cleaning them with iso-propanol on a dental space brush. If that works, some de-oxit gold works better for the long term as it keps new oxides from forming.