Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Z6ii or D850 for wildlife.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

bt62nik

bt62nik

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

I know the answer seems a bit silly, at first, but here's my situation. I have the Z6ii ( it replaced my D7200) but all my lenses are F-mount. I shoot mainly wildlife so my 200-500 is my go to lense, that and the Tamron 70-200 G2 (fantastic piece of glass).

I would like to get away from using the FTZ adapter so I am thinking about getting the new Z 100-400. 

My question... should I spend the money on new glass or should I get a D850 so I can keep the glass I already have?

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

okay Z6 II is compared to D750 with better low light sensor. and Z7 II is compared to D850. that what you have. if wild life want Z6 or Z6 II or Z9 

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

There are no downsides to the D850. It is superb in low light, it focuses faster than any Z camera yet produced and your lenses will fit on it. It’s an absolute classic, very possibly the best DSLR ever made, buy one now - there’ll be many years in which to buy Z cameras (which are definitely the future). 

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I hope Nikon doesn't follow Canon and produce nothing but mirrorless in the future, but I agree with Dogbytes, grab a D850 while you can if you think you want one.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I'm not sure if the D850 would be the best tool for wildlife photography but it's certainly no slouch. And, it may well be the last of it's breed. If you have a cache of F mount glass and the means to purchase a D850, I see very little downside to buying one. The one exception is that, because the D850 has such a high resolution sensor you may find faults in your lenses that went unnoticed when used on lower resolution cameras.

As far as mirrorless goes... well, I don't have anything to back this up but I do not see any indication that Nikon will ever produce another DSLR camera. So, as I said... the D850 may be a buffalo... the last of it's kind. 

--Ron

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I hope Nikon does not discontinue making DSLR cameras anytime in the foreseeable future, and long live the F-mount.  I'm hoping Nikon will make several more generations of DSLR cameras.

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

I don’t see Nikon producing many more DSLRs. To over-simplify, if they developed two products to do the same job, they’d be doubling their development/production costs to maintain the same sales.

That said, I would like to see a ‘D880’ with the 61mp sensor and whatever incremental AF improvements have come along since the D850 was designed. I don’t really see that there is much in the way of real world improvement that could be made over the D850 though - particularly at that price point. 

bt62nik

bt62nik

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for all the replies and opinions, I think I will get the 850, stay with F-mount.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

I hope Nikon doesn't follow Canon and produce nothing but mirrorless in the future, but I agree with Dogbytes, grab a D850 while you can if you think you want one.

nikon said after D500 last of crop body for that model said after D780 no more for that model said was working next model after D850 was going to be D860 have not come out. not making any more D3000 or D5000 bodies. said going full mirrorless to save money and R&D. was going the way stop making DSLR lenses all ready stop make a lot of DX lens and some full frame ones 

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

At this point in my life, (over 65) I doubt I'll follow the mirrorless revolution. 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

The camera is just a tool. It's the eye and brain behind the viewfinder that's important. That's what makes the photograph.

I understand that Pentax is not following the piper into mirrorless land. Maybe they're on to something. Rangefinder cameras are making a comeback. Film futures are up... although, not nearly as much as I would like to see.

I'm still waiting for the flying automobiles we were promised when I was a kid. I'm pretty ticked about that. 

--Ron

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I had forgotten about the flying cars, but remember, (now that you mention it) they were supposed to be in the near future from the later 1950's.  Can you imagine atomic powered cars dropping from the sky after a fender bender? 

I have a lot of admiration for the original Pentax K-1. It looks to be a real tool I could get used to quickly rather than a ''cam-puter''.  I handled a Pentax MLU 6x7 SLR in the 90's...What a beast!

For the most part I like digital, though there's things I miss from film too.  I see mirrorless cameras, no matter what brand as being currently in their ''toddler'' stage at best.  The tech junkies will be chasing the latest and greatest every few years just to keep up while the technology grows.  I suppose they have a lot going for them, though battery life certainly isn't one of them.  Other than the Z fc they look cheap...like a Sony missing the buttons, dials, and controls I've come to like with the Nikon DSLR's.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I'm not dissing mirrorless cameras or digital cameras at all. I shot (and developed) enough film to appreciate the convenience that digital affords. And, I'm quite sure I could get used to using a mirrorless camera real quick. But, I'm getting too old to get excited every time a new gadget hits the market. What I have now, modest though it may be, works for what I currently need. However, if someone were to offer me a Z9, I wouldn't hesitate to take it.   ;) 

Flying cars on the other hand... well, isn't about time?

--Ron

bt62nik

bt62nik

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

At this point in my life, (over 65) I doubt I'll follow the mirrorless revolution. 

I agree with you there. I'll be 60 soon, I'm gonna stay dslr.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I agree with you there. I'll be 60 soon, I'm gonna stay dslr.

The best thing about it is there's many more gently used DSLR's to choose from now and in the future!  Long live the F mount!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I remember folks saying the D5 was the last of its line.  Eventually there will be a last of the line but is it the D6 or something that follows it.  Some of the sports photogs that I know are planning on jumping to mirrorless with the Z9 but some aren't...a friend said that he will be lucky to get his Z9 during 2022 - and that is coming through NPS.  I know he still has DSLR bodies including the D850.  I think we may still see a D7 but I don't think that is a guarantee if the Z9 lives up to the hype...

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

I didn’t think there’d be a D6 and I definitely don’t think there’ll be a D7 (I think Nikon need to get off the fence and fully commit to the Z series). That said, I don’t think even the Z9 is quite there yet. In terms of start-up speed, battery life and some aspects of AF performance, a good DSLR is still ahead of the game. I have no particular axe to grind - I love DSLRs (especially the D850) but I’d love a mirrorless that would do the job.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

It would be more reassuring if Nikon would release a few updated F mount lenses and accessories. But, all I've seen in the past year or so are Z mount lenses and accessories.

I would be surprised if there were a D7. Pleasantly surprised, but surprised nonetheless. 

It's unfortunate that all of the camera makers are having such a rough time. I'm sure that most of their decisions are totally driven by how they might be accepted by investors. They can't really afford to continue building low margin DSLR's and build a comprehensive mirrorless system at the same time. Something has to give.

One of my all time major gripes with Nikon... and indeed other camera makers as well, has been that there are or were simply too many cameras with very similar specs listed in their current catalogs. There was a time when you could buy brand new D3200, D3300 and D3400 cameras at the same time.... they were sitting right next to each other in the camera store. Unfortunately, this philosophy has carried over to the mirrorless segment. Now that the Z7II and Z6II are in the catalog, is there really any reason to continue building and selling Z6/7 cameras? Please don't tell me they have two years worth of Z7/Z6 cameras sitting in warehouses somewhere. If so, they're in worse shape than I thought.

But I ramble ...

--Ron

Dogbytes

Dogbytes

Forum Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCornwall

Now that the Z7II and Z6II are in the catalog, is there really any reason to continue building and selling Z6/7 cameras? Please don't tell me they have two years worth of Z7/Z6 cameras sitting in warehouses somewhere. If so, they're in worse shape than I thought.

Yes, that’s been puzzling me too. Perhaps they did have that many. Bizarre - they’ve sold out of Z9 already!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

As far as I know, at least in the US, Z9's have not reached the consumer market.  There is a big demand at the NPS level so until that is covered, consumers probably won't have a chance to get them.