Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lens Upgrade Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Steve146

Steve146

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I'd like some help in choosing a new lens for my D3200 please.

I'm a very amateur photographer and have used the lens supplied for a number of years. I mainly take photos of streetscapes, buildings etc but I now find that the lens has its limitations.

My budget doesn't extend to a new lens and so the most up to date product isn't necessary something second hand up to around £150 which will give me a better zoom would be ideal.

I've read loads of reviews but find them all too technical and don't really address my requirements. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What limitations with the kit lens have you run into?

What do you mean when you say a ”better zoom”?

zevell

zevell

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Country Flag
I have the Nikon 18-200 VR2, and I find this an excellent lens.  Wide enough for every occasion, and long enough for almost everything else.  I picked mine up used for AUD$270 (approx £140).  I originally bought it for my old D3200, and now use it exclusively on my D7200.  I mainly shoot landscape, but unless you are shooting sport or wildlife, you will not be disappointed. 

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,752 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

I have the Nikon 18-200 VR2, and I find this an excellent lens.  Wide enough for every occasion, and long enough for almost everything else.  I picked mine up used for AUD$270 (approx £140).  I originally bought it for my old D3200, and now use it exclusively on my D7200.  I mainly shoot landscape, but unless you are shooting sport or wildlife, you will not be disappointed. 

+1

Had that awhile and later replaced it with 18-300mm, but they are a bit above budget.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you need a tele zoom lens, the best within budget is a used 55-200 or 55-300. The superzooms are seldom within budget, even if they are used and abused... If you decide on the 55-200, look for the version II of the VR lens as it is more compact, has better contrast at the long end and better vibration reduction.

Ellinor William

Ellinor William

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Country Flag

When it comes to choosing a second lens, there are a few key factors you’re going to need to consider. Price, Focal Length, Prime vs zoom, autofocus speed, built quality and optics and more. So read on to find out about the most important factors in choosing a lens upgrade: https://www.photowor...t-lens-upgrade/