Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help re: RAW and in-camera settings, Zfc

raw active-d picture-setting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

kwsherwood

kwsherwood

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I'm taking my first forays into exposure fine tuning, using RAW format and post-processing with Lightroom. (I've just moved up to the Z FC from point-and-shoot digital, with experience in SLR film from ages ago -- so I understand the exposure triangle, etc.)

Do the "picture-control" (e.g. presets such as vivid, standard, neutral, portrait OR modifications to these presets (sharpening, clarity, contrast, saturation, etc.) or "active-d" settings have any impact on RAW images?

I am thinking that those effect the production of in-camera JPEGS but maybe don't impact RAW? 

Thanks for the advice.

KS

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The picture controls are discarded by all third-party raw converters. The only ones that use them correctly are Capture NX-D and NX Studio.

ADL is a bit more complicated as only half the technology is applied after the fact. This means that the basic exposure is changed in the raw file, but the change in dynamics isn’t. It is best to turn ADL off if you intend to use Lightroom for your processing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: raw, active-d, picture-setting