Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sigma lens compatability?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

G Lash

G Lash

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi everyone - happy new year to one and all!

This is my first post and im reletively new to the camera world - loving it thus far - however, I'm having a bit of an issue with a lens that I was given over the christmas hols.

I've got a D5300 and have recieved a Sigma DG 70-300mm lens. Simply, it wont autofocus at all nor take photos when the camera is set to autofocus. Manual focus works fine and I can take pictures with that, but obviously having autofocus is nice! The lens is working fine as I switched it onto my sisters D5100 and autofocus works perfectly and is able to take photos with it.

I have read that there may be a software issue where the camera rejects the Sigma lens which has been programmed to the firmare of my camera, but not into older camera models (like my sisters D5100). I have also seen that people have downgraded their firmware to accept lens, but I can't find any walkthroughs or downloads of older firmare that people have had success with...

Can anyone out there give us a hand?! There seems to be no definitive answer on the subject!

Thanks for reading!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Nikon, in their infinite wisdom don't make older firmware verions available. 

The problem with these older third-party lenses is that they are reverse-engineered and when Nikon adds new functionality, things stop working as they test things with their own lenses but not others. It might be worth calling Sigma support to check with them if they can update the firmware for you without too high a cost.