Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Saying hello from North Wales

d5600

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Tracy, I would advise getting an eye test to to determine your actual sight requirement. Non-prescription glasses are a cheap option, but don't take account of the difference between right & left eye.

When I worked for a living, I used 'pound-shop' glasses for a few years, but eventually got my eyes tested & some prescription glasses. The cost wasn't huge & I could see the benefit immediately.

I had a quick look to see where I got my DK20C from & noticed they have a +2 version:-

Nikon 2.0 Dptr. E/Piece Correction Lens F65/80 Viewfinder for sale online | eBay

I think it took a couple of weeks to arrive.

Enough waffle from me.

Rocatah

Rocatah

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Country Flag

Tracy, I would advise getting an eye test to to determine your actual sight requirement. Non-prescription glasses are a cheap option, but don't take account of the difference between right & left eye.

When I worked for a living, I used 'pound-shop' glasses for a few years, but eventually got my eyes tested & some prescription glasses. The cost wasn't huge & I could see the benefit immediately.

I had a quick look to see where I got my DK20C from & noticed they have a +2 version:-

Nikon 2.0 Dptr. E/Piece Correction Lens F65/80 Viewfinder for sale online | eBay

I think it took a couple of weeks to arrive.

Enough waffle from me.

Thank you for waffling. I appreciate it.

I do wear prescription glasses, with different strengths in each eye. (I've worn glasses for 45 years) My left eye is much worse than my right. I can read great with +3 store bought glasses and with my prescription glasses, so seeing as I can read great with wither, I figured a +3 diopter for the Nikon.

It seems like the dK-20C +3 is like hens teeth at the moment. Every place I checked are 'awaiting stock'. I checked some US sites and they have them, but with $25 shipping.

Like I mentioned I did purchase one from a reputable seller here in the UK, but they sent an email saying the item was not in stock, but were trying to locate one.. I'll see what they come up with by wednesday. Failing that I'll get one from Japan vie eBay.

Do you think the +3 will be ok,

Thanks

Tracy

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

In post #40 you mentioned wearing 'non prescription glasses' - I immediately got confused.

I just checked the adjustment range on the D5600, it's -1.7 to +0.5

I think this means you'll need the DK20C +3

The Ebay company I used is registered in Hong Kong, but I though they were in Japan - more confusion.

They also appear to stock the DK20C  +3 (£23.40)

If you mention my name when ordering, they'll increase the price for mis-quoting their country of origin.

Rocatah

Rocatah

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Country Flag

In post #40 you mentioned wearing 'non prescription glasses' - I immediately got confused.

I just checked the adjustment range on the D5600, it's -1.7 to +0.5

I think this means you'll need the DK20C +3

The Ebay company I used is registered in Hong Kong, but I though they were in Japan - more confusion.

They also appear to stock the DK20C  +3 (£23.40)

If you mention my name when ordering, they'll increase the price for mis-quoting their country of origin.

I just ordered it from eBay, might get it by the end of the month.

I have successfully hooked my camera to my tablet and using Helicon Remote software. I can zoom in on the tablet for focusing, and it works pretty well. I will still need the eyepiece though, for when I go out.

Was your eyepiece easy to fit?

Thanks

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Was your eyepiece easy to fit?

Thanks

I would say easy-ish.

The original slides upwards quite easily, but the replacement was very tight. I found it necessary to run a needle file in the grove that slides on to the viewfinder.

Not a major problem, and at least it can't accidentally come off.

With regard to connecting a tablet, I used a video capture device from the hdmi port to the tablet. It works ok but there's a time lag between the image on the camera to what's displayed on the tablet.

This makes acquiring focus via the table very tedious.

Rocatah

Rocatah

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Country Flag

I would say easy-ish.

The original slides upwards quite easily, but the replacement was very tight. I found it necessary to run a needle file in the grove that slides on to the viewfinder.

Not a major problem, and at least it can't accidentally come off.

With regard to connecting a tablet, I used a video capture device from the hdmi port to the tablet. It works ok but there's a time lag between the image on the camera to what's displayed on the tablet.

This makes acquiring focus via the table very tedious.

I am finding Helicon Remote very quick. It connects to my tablet via USB. My focusing is much improved as I can zoom in on the tablet, I take the pic and it pops up on the tablet within a second or two. 

I've not heard anything about the DK20C +3 I've ordered, so no idea when that will arrive. Looking forward to receiving though..

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks for the tip about Helicon Remote Tracy. Seems to work on one of my phones, except it wants money if I insist on using .raw files.

Nothing's for nothing I suppose!

Rocatah

Rocatah

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Country Flag

So my DK-20C arrived today.

I managed to slide the view thing up, that was easy.. I think the eyepiece itself is screwed in.. gulp, This has me worried...

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I'm confused again - which part 'screws' in?

Vf_1.JPG Vf_1_01.JPG Vf_1_02.JPG Vf_1_03.JPG

Rocatah

Rocatah

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Country Flag

Augh..

Typically me.. I thought the old one needed to be removed. (that's where the screws were..) So it's now on the camera and I will take it for a test drive this evening. Is the outer bit supposed to fit over the new eyepiece?

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I can't remember taking anything off the camera, other the rubber eye-piece, in order to fit the DK-20C.

There is a statement in the reference manual:

'The rubber eyecup cannot be used with eyepiece correction lenses'.

However, I somehow managed to fit a DK-25 eyecup around the correction lens.

I ‘think’ the use of a needle file can into play with the task.

I had bought a replacement DK-25 'just in case' I destroyed the original eyecup during the process.

Another massive outlay of £3.50

Rocatah

Rocatah

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Country Flag

I don't have any needle files.. I'll have to go to my brothers..  Did you file the eyepiece or the rubber part? Sorry to keep bugging you. I appreciate your help.

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Behold - the underside of a DK 25;

DK 25_1_04 text.jpg

Rocatah

Rocatah

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Country Flag

Ohhh.. thanks..

I know where to file now. I do have an electric nail file that will work well...

Thank you

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Ohhh.. thanks..

I know where to file now. I do have an electric nail file that will work well...

Thank you

Take things slow, as a retired gunsmith I always advise against small hand held power tools for such operations. Possibly a nail file is an acceptable tool to use, but please use it by hand and go slow, checking your work as you go.

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Take things slow, as a retired gunsmith I always advise against small hand held power tools for such operations. Possibly a nail file is an acceptable tool to use, but please use it by hand and go slow, checking your work as you go.

This man knows what he's talking about.

Rocatah

Rocatah

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Country Flag

Yes, that is good advice, I probably would have ruined the eye piece using the powered drill.

I appreciate your input.

I will report back when my task is completed.  :D

Rocatah

Rocatah

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Country Flag

Well, it took some time, but it is fitted.

I had some bits in my nail kit that worked a treat, though it did take a good while.  

Augh.. Why can't I add a small pic.. What's the secret.. grrr

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Well, it took some time, but it is fitted.

I had some bits in my nail kit that worked a treat, though it did take a good while.  

Augh.. Why can't I add a small pic.. What's the secret.. grrr

Success - good!

How small is small - 400Kb or less should be ok.

My description pictures are about 100Kb.

Rocatah

Rocatah

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Country Flag
I'm wondering how to add a pic..

IMG 20220330 182800 edit 627093504384519 resized 20220330 062845294

I'm just seeing if this works.. ok yes it does.. yay

These are the files I used. Took me quite a while.. But it's done..

Thanks you gentlemen!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d5600