Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Raw files

raw nef dark darkening

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Oric Man

Oric Man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

I've had an issue with processing Raw files. When I import them iunto Lightroom, they look OK - similar to the Jpeg - and then they become darker. It's a bit of a pain as every time I have to brighten each photo.

I thought this was somethign to do with Lightroom, but I've got a Win10 computer now and I can view images with Quicklook app. This also views  Raw files. I shoot Jpeg + Raw. So I look at the photo with Quicklook. Jpeg, then Raw. They look the same. Then the Raw file becomes darker after a second or two - just like it does in Lightroom.

I can't figure out why it does this. I can't find any setting that might make it go dark. I know Jpegs are different, but it starts out like a Jpeg then seems to get altered.

Is this normal, or something wrong with my camera or settings?

It's a D5500 with sRGB setting. Jpegs are on Standard. No addition stops added.

There's a few others asking about this online but no real answers.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The embedded preview in a .nef file is processed using the jpeg settings in the camera. This is what you see at first. Lightroom and Quicklook don’t apply these settings. 

Do you have Active D-lighting on in your camera? This would explain the consistently darker rendering.

The only raw converters that start out from the in-camera settings are Capture NX-D and NX Studio. 

Oric Man

Oric Man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

Active D-lighting is on Auto. I'll experiment with it off.

The image I see first appear like the Jpeg then it seems to be stripped of the Jpeg processing to show the Raw.

(Ellinor - I'm not editing Jpeg in Lightroom. Just comparing Jpeg to Raw.)

If the Jpeg is so much brighter, is the camera routinely taking under-exposed images?

I took some shots in low light and a couple of them are actually brighter in the Raw than the Jpeg. Not sure in that case why the Jpeg is making the image darker(?)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

As the DX 24 and 20 MP sensors are nearly ISO-invariant at normal light levels, Nikon have chosen to protect the highlights using an exposure bias in the raw filés rather than produce neutral exposures. In low light levels with a higher ISO, the sensor is less invariant and the exposure bias shifts, especially if you use Matrix metering.

If you want to get more from your raw files, either Nikon’s own free raw converters or a professional tool like PhotoNinja will use more information from the raw files than the Adobe apps.

Oric Man

Oric Man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

Turning active D lighting off seems to stop the issue with the viewers on computer but it doesn't seem much different when processing. The pictures import and then go darker, so each one needs brightening up to get to where the jpeg is.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

If you want a starting point that is closer to the JPG, try NX Studio. This is both a viewer and a raw converter in one application.

Oric Man

Oric Man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

I've been trying it. It doesn't seem to offer as many options as Lightroom or Aftershot Pro.

It picks up Jpeg and Raw when I want just the Raw. There must be a way to filter out the jpegs?

Is has some good features, but you can't seem to control the highlights & shadows as well and there's nothing I can find like the clarity control that Lightroom has.

I probably need to learn more about it, but I'm not finding the Nikon software able to do much more than basic functions.

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

I've been trying it. It doesn't seem to offer as many options as Lightroom or Aftershot Pro.

It picks up Jpeg and Raw when I want just the Raw. There must be a way to filter out the jpegs?

Is has some good features, but you can't seem to control the highlights & shadows as well and there's nothing I can find like the clarity control that Lightroom has.

I probably need to learn more about it, but I'm not finding the Nikon software able to do much more than basic functions.

I agree that there are less features compared to commercial editing software, but as NX Studio is supplied free, it's still a very good tool.

As I'm purely a hobby photographer, it's ideal for my needs. 

Yes, Light Room is a good option, but it comes at an open-ended cost!

Ellinor William

Ellinor William

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Country Flag

Despite it being a great tool for amateur photographers, Lightroom isn’t completely flawless. Many of its users have experienced issues like RAW images becoming corrupt after editing, when trying to copy or import them to hard drive. 

Sometimes wrong application settings or corrupt file destination can lead to darkening of RAW images. This may help, Lightroom Corrupting RAW Images on Copy & Import (Solution) - Stellar

Oric Man

Oric Man

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure my images are corrupted. The darken of Raw images seems to be something to do with previewing as if it was a Jpeg and then losing the Jpeg settings to go back to the Raw data. It seems to occur in other previews so isn't just Lightroom.

(My version is an older one, so I don't have to pay this new subscription thing. )

Most of the time I end up with something that looks like the Jpeg (I shoot Raw + Jpeg so can compare.) So I sometimes think I'm wasting my time processing Raw. It does work well though when images are a bit under-exposed etc.

There is some open source software (Dark Table, Raw Therapee) or cheaper software like Aftershot Pro which I've tried but I keep coming back to Lightroom for its easier controls and easier batch processing.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

if do not shot raw then use Capture NX-D or free program gimp for editing. all ways shoot raw so keep setting you have and can make major change if makes to dark or to light. since keeps full info for you do change photo if your in wrong setting at time. i shot both raw and jpg. since if need to do quick post i have jpg if setting are right. if off then have to wait in till do full edit in lightroom or Capture NX-D when i had before lightroom. or get free program gimp that will work too. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: raw, nef, dark, darkening