Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Loud Noise From Nikkor Lens When Zooming In

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

TamD

TamD

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a AF-s VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm F/3.5-5.6G ED lens that makes a horrible noise when I zoom in, and continues to make the noise so long as the lens is extended.

It happens when mounted to both my D70 and D90.

It does NOT make the noise when the lens is completely retracted.

It Does make the noise in both Manual and Auto-Focus mode.

I love this lens.

I sent it into Nikon for repair and they sent it back to me with the message "PARTS NO LONGER AVAILABLE"

Question 1: Does anybody know what the problem with the lens is?

Question 2: Can anyone recommend a place that might be able to repair this lens?

Thank you very much. :-)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Camera Service in Atlanta might be able to help you. Best Camera repair and service in Atlanta! Camera repair near me? It's us!

I am not surprised that Nikon don't have any parts left as it went out of production in July 2010 if it is the last version. If the serial is below 400000, it is the first revision that stopped production late 2005.

TamD

TamD

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you for your reply, and for the suggestion on the service center.

Serial number is 5028###

Camera Service in Atlanta might be able to help you. Best Camera repair and service in Atlanta! Camera repair near me? It's us!

I am not surprised that Nikon don't have any parts left as it went out of production in July 2010 if it is the last version. If the serial is below 400000, it is the first revision that stopped production late 2005.