Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Focusing issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

oldguy68!

oldguy68!

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello everyone. I have been shooting Nikon for quite a few years now. I have been doing so with a D700, and my go to lens for most of my work has been the SIGMA 70-200 MACRO HSMII EX. It has performed flawlessly on my D700 for over three years now. I just purchased a D810 with only 95 shutter clicks and the latest firmware update. My problem is it will not auto focus on the 810 body. I have everything set properly, and it is hit or miss. It will work for about 4-5 shots then i can't even get a focus point to light up in the view finder. My native Nikon lenses do not have that issue. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. I really don't want to lay out another $1000 plus for another lens, and as much as I like Sigma's lenses, I definitely don't want to purchase another one just to find it having the same issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I think your lens is from before the dock? If that is the case, Sigma might have a solution by changing the chip in the lens. A quick google indicates that the old Sigmas aren’t compatible with D810 firmware later than 1.12. 

oldguy68!

oldguy68!

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks Peter. You are correct. It is from before the "dock." From all I have read you are 100% correct. I guess, that's good enough reason for me to update my lens! I'll keep the current one for use on my 700. Appreciate your help sir! 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It might be worth checking with Sigma of they have a solution and what the cost would be.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Wouldn’t be a downgrade of the firmware to v1.12 be another option.

What I found in firmware release notes is that the main changes for v1.13 are

New Features:

- The WT-7 wireless transmitter is now supported.
Fixed the following issues:

- Multiple exposures were not recorded correctly.
- Incorrect histograms would be displayed for some images viewed in the RGB histogram display during playback.
- If On was selected for Auto distortion control, distortion would appear at the edges of photos taken with NEF (RAW) + JPEG fine selected for Image quality and Medium selected for JPEG/TIFF recording > Image size.
- Photos taken immediately after lenses were exchanged would not be recorded at the correct exposure.
- The protect icon did not display correctly.
- If On was selected for Auto distortion control, the camera would stop responding when the user attempted to take pictures with NEF (RAW) + JPEG fine selected for Image quality, Small selected for NEF (RAW) recording > Image size, and RAW primary - JPEG secondary selected for Secondary slot function.
- Shutter speeds for the electronic front-curtain shutter would sometimes be faster than 1/2000 s.
- Pictures would sometimes not be recorded.

For v1.14 are

The SETUP MENU > Time zone and date > Time zone display now shows only the names of major cities in the currently selected zone.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Jerry_, the problem when downgrading the firmware is finding the correct updater as Nikon in their infinite wisdom don't have the earlier versions available. Those who have gone this route have been lucky enough to have the 1.12 update downloaded already from a previous update. Somebody who has just bought a used D810 probably doesn't have this file. Many of the sites that provide earlier firmware versions come with extras in the form of key loggers and other malware.

oldguy68!

oldguy68!

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks guys for all the help. I think i will just upgrade this lens to a newer Nikon Lens. I love the quality of this lens, and it works great on the D700, but i need something that will work across both bodies equally well. Have a great Christmas!!