Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Off Camera Flash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

robert192

robert192

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I would like to try off camera flash use. I own a D750. What is the best way to wireless trigger flashes (2). Knowing I'm not made of money!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

First of all, get radio links. They are much more reliable than optical triggers.

I would get into the Godox system with either V860II or V1 units. The V1 is better, but twice the price. Get either of the triggers, the Pro is easier to use and not much more money.

The Profoto A10 or B10 are the best you can get, but the budget needs to be frighteningly big.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I guess the first question I would ask is, do you already have any external flash guns or speedlights? If not, then Peter's suggestion is likely the best solution. If you do, and you wish to use your current flash(s), they will dictate what additional items you need for off camera flash.

I fully agree with eschewing Nikon's optical triggering system in favor of radio triggers. Once you use radio triggers you'll never look back.

There are other items you will probably want to consider as you become more proficient ...  light stands or clamps as well as umbrellas or light boxes, etc.  However, you can do a great deal with just a single flash and possibly a small reflector or bounce card.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It you already have an SB-600 or better, Godox make a receiver to put between the flash and support that works really well and gives the same capabilities as the flash cameramounted with either of the transmitters I mentioned earlier.