Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Question about the new 400mm prime for Z cameras.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

walt@wblady.com

walt@wblady.com
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOshawa, Ontario

Maybe this is a silly question but, the new NIKKOR Z 400MM F/2.8 TC VR S SUPER-TELEPHOTO PRIME LENS WITH A BUILT-IN 1.4X TELECONVERTER has a Teleconverter built into it. My question is... is this lens a true 400mm or is it a 400mm after the 1.4 teleconverter is counted in? This is the first time I've seen a lense with a built-in TC, so I had to ask.

Nikonphotographer

Nikonphotographer
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSolihull, West Midlands
Nikon says this lens will have a built-in 1.4x teleconverter, turning it into a 560mm f/4.

Nikon have produced lenses before with a built-in teleconverter in the past

walt@wblady.com

walt@wblady.com
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOshawa, Ontario

I guess my next question is... can the TC in this lens be disabled when shooting (I can't imagine how), or is this really a faux 56mm f/4 lens? 

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The TC will probably work like the TC in the 180-400 where there is a bulge behind the lens collar where the  converter elements go when the TC is deactivated by flicking a switch. 

Lenstip has a review of the zoom on their site. Nikon Nikkor AF-S 180-400 mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR review - Build quality and image stabilization - LensTip.com

Nikonphotographer

Nikonphotographer
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSolihull, West Midlands

I guess my next question is... can the TC in this lens be disabled when shooting (I can't imagine how), or is this really a faux 56mm f/4 lens?

This image is Nikons 180-400 F mount lens that also had an inbuilt teleconverter,

The newer Z mount lens will work in the same manner

Attached Thumbnails

• closeview2.jpg

fallout666

fallout666
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

be same as 180-400mm F mount lens.