Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Difficult decision!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I want another FTZ. What do you think? Should I get another FTZ or the new FTZ II? 

It will go on my Z fc, so the tripod mount is a bit in the way...

I am always skeptical about being an early adopter, so I would normally lean towards the tried and tested versus the latest but the new form factor would suit my purpose better.

I don't have to decide yet as there are none available in Sweden right now anyway. 

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

I wrestle with these sort of questions in other hobbies. I usually end up getting two of everything – just in case!

When I reach that situation, I often wonder why.

From an ease of use perspective, I’d probably get another FTZ.

I appreciate photography is more than just a hobby for you Peter.

Jerry_

Jerry_
  • Country Flag
If the form factor of the FTZ II gives you the benefit for using a tripod, while not wanting to be an early adopter, maybe waiting for 1-2 months would be a possibility, if you consider this benefit worth for waiting. At that moment first feedback should be available (and negative feedback usually goes fast if it really has an issue)

On the other hand - and while not knowing all the differences between FTZ and FTZ II - the first FTZ might have been a good basis for developing an improved FTZ II, not having early version issues.

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

I think I missed the meaning of your question first time around!

Not if you should get another FTZ, but if you should get an FTZ or FTZ II.

Senior moment.

Interestingly, the advance order price of the FTZ II in the UK is £20 less than the FTZ.

One would think it should be the other way around.

Perhaps when it becomes available, the prices will swap around.

Nikonphotographer

Nikonphotographer
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSolihull, West Midlands
I was just going to purchase the FT-Z when the newer version got announced, after seeing it without the tripod mount, I'm now holding on until they become available, as I've only got 2 F mount lenses left, Sigma 105 macro and Sigma 150-600C, which has its own tripod mount attached.

Ron

Ron
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

My understanding is that, except for the tripod mount, they are functionally equivalent.

--Ron

bluzman

bluzman
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

Since you say you plan to use it with your Zfc which has a fully articulating LCD screen, using an original FTZ with its built-in tripod mount wouldn't involve some of the interference issues one has with the Z50 and its tilt-only LCD screen.

OTOH, if you still have your Z50 as well as the Zfc, the FTZ II would seem a good choice in case you decided to use it with the older body.

As an aside, I got the FTZ as part of the deal for my Z50 with 2 kit lenses. Other than checking to make sure it functioned as advertised when it was delivered, I've never  used it in almost two years even though I have more than a few F mount lenses.

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I got the Z fc primarily to use with manual focus F-mount lenses such as the 24/2.8, 35/1.4, 50/1.2, 105/2.5 etc. Access to the aperture ring and the focus ring is more than a bit uncomfortable with the FTZ…

If I only intended to use Ai and pre-Ai lenses, I could get away with the much cheaper Novoflex adapter, but I might want to use other F-mount lenses too without having to carry more than one adapter.   

stevev

stevev
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Coast

No disrespect, but I'm struggling to understand why you would want another FTZ,  especially given your primary use with the Z fc and smaller lenses.  Seems to me the only reason to have FTZ over FTZ II is for the tripod mount and you already have that covered.  Please let us know your decision.

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

No disrespect, but I'm struggling to understand why you would want another FTZ,  especially given your primary use with the Z fc and smaller lenses.  Seems to me the only reason to have FTZ over FTZ II is for the tripod mount and you already have that covered.  Please let us know your decision.

The reason is that avoiding being an early adopter has paid off so many times over the years. The question is whether Nikon have kept the same chip as a base for the new adapter or if they have started from scratch. I don't want to have to flash the chip in the Sigma to have it work on both adapters if they have changed something on the F-mount side, for example. I'll just have to wait and see. Nikon have a history of breaking compatibility with third-party lenses.

fallout666

fallout666
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

get FTZ II do not get first one i plan on get FTZ II and still keeping my FTZ for lenses that do not have issue with it. also how do you like your nikon Z fc mirrorless camera. also same as first one but does not have issue of bump. so same one without the bump. i need to be on more shame i am not on since been keep up with all new stuff and planning getting Z9 when i get cash for it