Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AF-S Nikkor 24-70 1:2.8 G ED

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

I just received my used Nikkor lens. Out of the package it worked well with my D750 until I tried testing it with the Focal v3.2.4 software. While testing to see if it would need some calibration @70mm the software kept coming back with an error 0000 when I was running a calibration check. It went through the test @24mm fine. After starting over with the test a few times with the same error, I gave up. Then right after that the autofocus died on the lens. I tried it with my D750, D7200 and D500 bodies. I remembered reading online somewhere that the autofocus can be revived by turning the focus ring manually back and forth. It revived it for a bit and it died after a few times autofocusing at different distances. Some more turning of the focussing ring got it back to working correctly. That was yesterday. The autofocus has been working fine whenever I just tried it here and there since then. Is this normal for older lenses and should I be worried it will eventually die on me? Nikon's online repair estimate quoted $500 or so for the repair. That's about $150 less than what I paid for it.

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

I don’t have your particular lens, but have an Afs micro DX 85mm f3.5 featuring a silent wave motor.

Most of the time it works fine. Sometimes it doesn't focus properly, much the same as yours. Giving the focus control a little tweak usually puts it to rights. I think I’ve also had the same issue with other SWM lenses in my collection.

Perhaps it’s an SWM trait?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As long as there is no death squeak, it is probably just the clutch that is a bit worn. Lots of older AF-S lenses do it and it isn’t too troublesome to live with. The repair quote is probably for a worst-case where you need both a new focus motor and a new focusing clutch.

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Oy, I kept forgetting to post my thanks you you two.

I don’t have your particular lens, but have an Afs micro DX 85mm f3.5 featuring a silent wave motor.

Most of the time it works fine. Sometimes it doesn't focus properly, much the same as yours. Giving the focus control a little tweak usually puts it to rights. I think I’ve also had the same issue with other SWM lenses in my collection.

Perhaps it’s an SWM trait?

Maybe. I have a few other SWM lenses that have no problems yet.

As long as there is no death squeak, it is probably just the clutch that is a bit worn. Lots of older AF-S lenses do it and it isn’t too troublesome to live with. The repair quote is probably for a worst-case where you need both a new focus motor and a new focusing clutch.

Well. it didn't squeak so it's probably the clutch that is worn.
In the last month I kept reviving the autofocus every once in a while but, it got to the point where it'd quit multiple times a day so I just ended up sending it to Nikon for a repair estimate. I wanted to bring it along for our trip next month so I shipped it out using USPS 2 day Priority Express Mail but, USPS, for some reason, had problems with Express mail in Alaska and kept it in Anchorage for a week before shipping it off to California. I, at least, got a refund from USPS for the shipping cost. The damage to my wallet quoted by Nikon was $538.45 with return shipping.  :o  :( 
As of today, the progress is showing "shop", meaning that it's being repaired. Hopefully, UPS won't take it's time in shipping it back when Nikon is done repairing the lens. 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Because of the ongoing situation with the USPS, I've been advising people to avoid the US Postal Service whenever possible. Especially for time sensitive deliveries. I know this isn't much consolation in your situation though.

It's too bad that you have to go through something like this with a lens. At least you should have the equivalent of a new lens once you get it back from Nikon. :: fingers crossed :: 

--Ron

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Because of the ongoing situation with the USPS, I've been advising people to avoid the US Postal Service whenever possible. Especially for time sensitive deliveries. I know this isn't much consolation in your situation though.

It's too bad that you have to go through something like this with a lens. At least you should have the equivalent of a new lens once you get it back from Nikon. :: fingers crossed :: 

--Ron

Up until last month, USPS was pretty consistent with shipments. I'll still choose USPS over Fedex or UPS because of the cost differences between the 3 and their delivery times. Fedex and UPS charges a lot more than USPS with packages coming to rural Alaska e.g. a Nikkor 35 1.8 lens from Adorama would cost me $13.25 for USPS shipping (usually Priority Mail, sometimes 1st class) while a UPS 2nd day shipment would be $41.85. I also like the USPS tracking/shipping times (4-10 days) better than UPS and Fedex. 2 day Fedex packages get to Anchorage in 2 days but will be transferred over to USPS in about 1-4 days and will be shipped out to me without any tracking. 2 day UPS also gets in to Anchorage in 2 days and will be held there until the expected delivery time, even though the tracking updates to an earlier delivery time. It will take anywhere from a week to 10 days of being held then it will then be transferred over to a 3rd party UPS shipper where it will be signed for by them as being delivered even though it might take another 2 - 7 days for it to arrive. 
I too hope the lens will come back like new. The estimate plus the amount I paid for the lens totals less than a refurbished lens I think, but still, $500 for the repair..

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I understand what you mean about shipping.... I recently sent my sister a gift and the shipping cost almost exceeded the cost of the gift.

As far as purchasing from dealers go, well... some of them at least, offer free three day shipping for orders totaling $50 or more. In those cases, at least in my experience, the shipper has been FedEX, and they have been very consistent in that 3 day delivery window. I haven't purchased anything from Adorama in quite awhile so I don't know what their current shipping policies are. 

Good luck with the lens!

--Ron

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Of the three, I've found Fedex to be more expensive than the other two. None of the dealers, at least the ones I occasionally order from, do not offer free shipping to Alaska. The shipping options I get from Adorama are UPS and USPS.
Nikon shipped out my lens via UPS Ground a couple days ago and the tracking shows the estimated delivery time to be on the 26th, if they don't change it. So, I'm hoping it'll arrive sometime during the week after the 26th. 

• Ron likes this

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Ugh.. I've noticed that UPS has changed the delivery date twice since I last posted. It's now set for February 1st, better than the 6th that I seen before this latest update. So, it'll be sometime after February 1st that I'll see my lens. If it was shipped via USPS Priority Mail it would've been here by now or early next week at the latest. I hate that UPS shipments just sit around until their estimated delivery times come up before they start moving again.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

If you have a tracking number... but, of course you do, it's often amusing to follow your package around the country. I've had packages travel thousands of miles in the opposite direction from my location before eventually making it here. And sometimes, there seems to be no rational reason for the route a package takes. I understand about hubs... and I sympathize about weather delays but even taking those into consideration, some of my packages have seen more of the country than me.... and, I'm jealous!

--Ron 

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

UPS just doesn't want to make up it's mind on a delivery date lol. in the last few days the tracking status for the estimated delivery has been "The delivery date will be provided as soon as possible."  :huh: :( I think I'll just forget about tracking it and wait for it to be delivered, whenever that will be.
Haha yea, I know what you mean. One of my packages went from Florida to Puerto Rico, back to Kentucky I think, then finally to the west coast and Alaska. Another went from the states to Anchorage, AK then Hawaii and back to Anchorage lol. I wouldn't mind visiting both those places.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

UPS just doesn't want to make up it's mind on a delivery date lol. in the last few days the tracking status for the estimated delivery has been "The delivery date will be provided as soon as possible."  :huh: :( I think I'll just forget about tracking it and wait for it to be delivered, whenever that will be.
Haha yea, I know what you mean. One of my packages went from Florida to Puerto Rico, back to Kentucky I think, then finally to the west coast and Alaska. Another went from the states to Anchorage, AK then Hawaii and back to Anchorage lol. I wouldn't mind visiting both those places.

Of course you probably don't want to know this but, there have been numerous reports of shipping containers (including FedEX & UPS) being burglarized recently. Hopefully, your lens wasn't among those packages.

Shipping routes are definitely crazy. I'd like to have the frequent flyers miles some of those packages are racking up!  :rolleyes: 

--Ron

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Of course you probably don't want to know this but, there have been numerous reports of shipping containers (including FedEX & UPS) being burglarized recently. Hopefully, your lens wasn't among those packages.

Shipping routes are definitely crazy. I'd like to have the frequent flyers miles some of those packages are racking up!  :rolleyes:

--Ron

Ouch! I feel for those people that lost their packages that had them in those containers.
Well, I finally received my lens one week after the delivery date was updated. I've had it now for a couple weeks and it's working great so far. I calibrated the bodies using Reikan FoCal without the autofocus seizing up, well, once with the D500 but it was set to AFC instead of AFS. I noticed that the lens hood was damaged, it didn't click solidly when attached. I noticed that in some places of the part that attaches to the lens was chipped/broken. I don't know if it happened at the service center or during shipping. I just ended up ordering a new hood from B&HPhoto instead of contacting Nikon.

Here's what to expect from the repair.

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSC5861.jpg

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Glad everything is working... cept 'grrrrr' about the lens shade. I won't go into my recent auto repair escapades but, let's just say that, after having gone through that hell I would probably get Nikon on the phone and raise cain about the broken bayonet mount. Especially considering how much this repair cost you.

But you're right .... B&H is probably less hassle (although I also had a recent problem with them... which, thankfully, finally got taken care of.).

--Ron