Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Can I ask a few questions re: D90 VS D7500 VS D780?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

tinman

tinman

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location99212

Hi-

I currently have a D90 with a AF-S NIKKOR 18-105 1.35-5.6 ED lens. Will this lens work with the Nikon D780?

I know that the D7500 has newer  features and better abilities + a weather sealed case, than the D90.

I am thinking a D7500 was what I should get as un upgrade, and I could use the lens that I have from my D90 on the D7500.

However, If the AF-S NIKKOR 18-105 1.35-5.6 ED lens I use with my D90 will work on the D780, that will be the direction I am going to move toward, as it is a full frame so my images would have tighter pixels and all the better improvements that body offers over the D7500. 

Thanks,

Mark 

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Hello Mark

Do you mean AFs DX 18-105 ?

If so, it'll work on a full frame body (D780) - but results will be somewhat lacking.

As the D7500 is a DX body, any DX lens will work fine.

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

What kind of subjects do you photograph? If sports or animals/birds in motion are high on your list, the D7500 is my recommendation.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The 18-105 works on a D780, but only in DX crop mode. This means that you will only have a little over 10 MP available. 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

If you really want to go full frame, my suggestion would be to sell the D90 and the 18-105. Then either buy a D780 with a kit lens or buy a modern equivalent of the lens you have now. 

This would also be a good opportunity for you to go mirrorless. My gut feeling is that, going forward, Nikon will be spending most of their effort building up their mirrorless system. We're already seeing fairly recent F mount lenses show up on the discontinued list. I expect this trend to continue.

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

This would also be a good opportunity for you to go mirrorless. My gut feeling is that, going forward, Nikon will be spending most of their effort building up their mirrorless system. We're already seeing fairly recent F mount lenses show up on the discontinued list. I expect this trend to continue.

--Ron

Now is not the best time to go mirrorless if you are used to the optical quality and the range of the 18-105 on DX. The 24-70/4 lacks the usability as a short tele of the 18-105 and the 24-200 is a superzoom, even if it is a good one. The 18-105 gets a bit mushy over 80 mm, so the 24-105 Z-mount lens that is on the road map, but not released yet should be a better walkaround zoom than what is on the market when it becomes available. 

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Now is not the best time to go mirrorless if you are used to the optical quality and the range of the 18-105 on DX. The 24-70/4 lacks the usability as a short tele of the 18-105 and the 24-200 is a superzoom, even if it is a good one. The 18-105 gets a bit mushy over 80 mm, so the 24-105 Z-mount lens that is on the road map, but not released yet should be a better walkaround zoom than what is on the market when it becomes available. 

Points taken.

--Ron