Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Updating firmware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

stevev

stevev

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Coast

This question about the Z6ii, but it could apply to any Nikon with dual card slots, and especially those with different types of cards.  Can you use the SD card to update camera and / or lens firmware, or must you use the XQD / CFexpress card?

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Mr Nikon says:

Insert the memory card into the slot currently selected as the primary slot on the camera and turn the camera on.

Refer to page 257 of the reference manual.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I just want to add that if there is only one card in the camera, the occupied slot automatically becomes the primary.

stevev

stevev

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Coast

Thank you both.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

any of cards for it. not sure if can do plugged in. i have Z6 if around more i can help since i have Z6

Johnb

Johnb

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNear Aylesbury. Bucks

Site Supporter

Like Merco says, I usually remove the XQD card then just use the SD card in the card reader and camera. I always reformat the SD card before using it to make sure it is completely empty.  Replace XQD card once update has completed. 

Also, when updating firmware, make sure your camera battery is min 80% full, else the update wont happen. I spent 1/2 a day trying to update before finding out that the camera wont do this on a low battery.