Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Using a D5600 and a fixed Nikkor 50mm lens, should I be able to sharply focus on tree leaves 110 meters away?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Those Who Squirm

Those Who Squirm

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Country Flag
I live in Eugene, and as I had an errand near Valley River Center today, I brought along my gear to take photos of the river and the opposite shore, which is about the stated distance away at this point.

While I'm not entirely displeased with the results, it seems like the trees/leaves on the opposite bank aren't as sharp as they could be, although I focused as sharply as I could in the LV monitor. In the LV, they seemed to be more in focus than the image turned out. (Unfortunately I wear glasses and can't use the optical viewfinder).

Am I asking too much of my equipment? If I had used a full frame DSLR, would the image be better?

I'm attaching a slightly reduced size version of the image. You can view the original size on Flickr, along with the settings, here:

View across the Willamette River from Valley River Center | Flickr
1728cc156dcc67a620af1e60450aed00.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What 50 mm lens did you use? The EXIF says that the max aperture is 1.7, which doesn’t correspond with any Nikkor I know.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

It looks as though you may have missed focus. The close up leaves in the photo seem to be sharper than the trees on the opposite bank of the river. In any case, your D5600 should be able to produce acceptably sharp photos. 

I agree with Peter though, I've never seen a 50mm Nikkor f/1.7 lens.

--Ron

Those Who Squirm

Those Who Squirm

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Country Flag
It's this lens:

AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G (image below)

...and it does only open up to 1.8. I can't imagine where the 1.7 came from.

As you probably know, the AF function won't work with this camera body, but that usually isn't an issue for me.

*I just opened up the Flickr link to public access, so if you tried to view that before and couldn't, you should now be able to do so.a86b6417c299d99aab1d8d0bd71f4a82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Those Who Squirm

Those Who Squirm

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Country Flag

What 50 mm lens did you use? The EXIF says that the max aperture is 1.7, which doesn’t correspond with any Nikkor I know.

How are you getting any info on the lens model?  It doesn't come up in the file properties, nor does it appear in the Flickr details.   I thought that was strange but I see now it's probably always been that way for this lens.  The metadata tells me that the focal length is 50mm (of course), and provides other information about the camera settings used, but there's nothing about the specific model of lens.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The focal length is 35, even if it has the same field of view as a 50 on FX. It is an AF-S DX lens and should autofocus flawlessly on the D5600.

This is what the EXIF on Flickr looks like on my computer.

Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 20.14.09.png

As you can see, the Max Aperture variable is 1.7.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Country Flag

The lens shown is an AF-S series, internal motor.

I believe the older AF-Nikkors that rely on the AF-Motor built into the camera body will not work on a D5600, but I think an AF-S series should work.

Nikon D5600 Digital SLR Camera | Interchangeable Lens Camera

The Tech Spec shows it works with the AF-S G lenses.

Maybe you have something in the camera menu misconfigured? I have a friend that had that problem. Camera menu was set to manual only through some obscure command.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
In the combo of the D5600 with the (35mm) AF-S lens, auto focussing is possible. To have it enabled you must ensure that:
1/ on the camera menu you choose AF-S or AF-F (D5600 | Digitutor | Nikon Consumer)
AND
2/ on the lens the switch is in the M/A position

(If any of the two settings is set to to manual (AF-M on the camera OR M on the lens switch), autofocus is disabled
If you have the settings above and the camera does not autofocus you have most likely a technical problem.

As for the sharpness of the leaves in the picture, yes, your camera can perform good/better. So, no imediate need to change the camera (or lens) ;) until they prove to have a technical issue.

Crotlaus

Crotlaus

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Country Flag

I have the same combination. The little 35mm is a great lens for the D5600. There should be no problem with the auto focus. Upon examine of the picture blown up it appears that the leaves on the left foreground are much sharper. What was the focus type and the f/stop? By stopping down a bit on landscapes to f/8 you can get a better depth of field. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I have the same combination. The little 35mm is a great lens for the D5600. There should be no problem with the auto focus. Upon examine of the picture blown up it appears that the leaves on the left foreground are much sharper. What was the focus type and the f/stop? By stopping down a bit on landscapes to f/8 you can get a better depth of field. 

See EXIF info above in Merco's post...