Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New to Photography

beginner

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

ilymekia

ilymekia

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi! I have recently become interested in starting photography as a hobby and I would like to find out the best camera to fit my needs. I would like to start out with action, nature, and documentary photography. I have researched many brands, cameras, and lenses, and I feel more comfortable choosing Nikon over any other brand, but I'm not to sure where to start for my first DSLR. The terms, numbers, and other lingo confuse me to no end (lol), but I am willing to learn through experience. I am willing to spend up to $1000 until I learn the basics. Help, please!

Thank you,

Ashley S. =)

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

I started with a D40 and I am now using a D7100, but from if I was starting now, I would opt for a D3200 which I think you could pick up for around $700 with a kit lens. This would leave you $300 to buy another lens and the one thing I have learned is invest in the glass. Hope this helps but sure other folk may have some suggestions or advice. Have a look around the threads already on the Forum and think you will find quite a lot of information available. I would keep asking questions about the various options before making the buy. There are loads of very helpful folk on this site willing to assist you in your journey.
Here is a link to another forum message that came out before Christmas which is something you may wish to consider:

Nikon D3100 Kit: $429 + free 2nd day shipping - Nikon Deals - NikonForums.com

stuguy

stuguy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAmmanford,Wales,UK..

Hi Ashley S. Welcome to the forum ;-)

I bought my 1st DSLR in june and it was a D3200 and i have no regrets, its a great camera for a 1st timer as it helps teach you the basics. just invest in some decent lenses..

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Welcome Ashley,

Tony is correct about the lenses...I'd always recommend getting the best glass you can within your price range...That said, a D3200 may be the perfect camera for you considering what you have said and it will give you some money left over for another lens. 

If you aren't sure that it is the right camera, feel free to ask questions and we'll do what we can to help!  Many times I feel like photography is a compromise...with a limited budget, we end up having to make decisions that will give us the best tool that we can afford.  You would be amazed at what my camera bag would look like if I won the lottery!  :D

I just keep trying to find the best tool for what I need to do that I can afford in the mean time!

Maddie H.

Maddie H.

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Country Flag

I am in the exact same position! We have both come to the right place and will learn so much about cameras here. Great question!

jack

jack

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide AU

Site Supporter

My son loves his D3200, but I had to put a lock on my lens cabinet.  :)

dubiousone

dubiousone

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationArizona Territory

Good advice;

I started 'small' found a used Nikon D50 for $350 and right on the heels of that a Pentax K100D Super for $150; both used, both in nearly new condition, both fabulous cameras! I have somewhat outgrown the D50; ISO only goes to 1600, the K100 to 3200 which is better when I want to do night shooting but I'm already pushing the limits of that in my desire to learn and expand!

It is very hard selecting the 'right' camera; there's always one out there that's better with more features. Tough to resist the upgrade bug! Nikon builds fine cameras, you can't go wrong there. I also love Pentax and they do have features Nikon doesn't like in body image stabilization (with Nikon you have to use a VR lens) and perhaps the menus and some of the controls are easier however I'd steer you towards Nikon for one reason; I'd bet locally lenses and accessories are more available that that 'other' brand.

Don't get caught up in the 'mega-wars'; More megapixels isn't always better. Yes a 24 MP image can be cropped and blown up more than a 6MP or 14MP but do you really need that? The other side is photos at 24MP take a lot of space versus 14MP and take longer to render. The 3200 would do just fine I think!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

My son loves his D3200, but I had to put a lock on my lens cabinet.   :)

That is why I currently have 3 bodies and at one point I had two 70-200s...gave him the VRI and I picked up the VRII along with a Tamron 24-70 and a D90...He loved the D90 but somehow he always seemed to end up with one of my D7000s...But, he knew not to take any of my gear without asking!  He's not shooting much anymore so I've since sold off the lenses and the D90 but kept a D7000 as a 3rd body just in case he wants to shoot at the same time I am shooting.  I'm guessing he'll get back into shooting over the next few years...I expect that will be a good excuse for me to upgrade!  :)

asokell

asokell

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Country Flag
Hello and welcome. Im new too and find I get great advice on here. From what I understand so far, action and nature need fast lenses. These can be a bit expensive, especially if you need fast and telephoto. Good suggestion to find a decent second hand body and spend the money on the glass. Id also suggest spending a bit more on the memory card to get one that saves the image quickly. This will reduce buffering time between continuous shots.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Hello and welcome. Im new too and find I get great advice on here. From what I understand so far, action and nature need fast lenses. These can be a bit expensive, especially if you need fast and telephoto. Good suggestion to find a decent second hand body and spend the money on the glass. Id also suggest spending a bit more on the memory card to get one that saves the image quickly. This will reduce buffering time between continuous shots.

Excellent point!  That is one thing that I learned quickly and I haven't seen mentioned (by me or anyone else up to now)!  Get the fastest card you can get for the camera.  It will empty the buffer more quickly which will help that buffer keep up with continuous shooting.  I have hit the buffer limit with even the fastest cards, but I do notice a difference even between a fast card and the fastest card.  The "standard" cards are fine if you aren't shooting continuous, but with sports you will want the fastest card you can get.  I also opt for the largest cards I can afford because often there isn't time during a game or match to change cards.  I've gone through a 32GB card in one half of play.  Again, this may not be something that most folks have to worry about - especially those that don't shoot sports, but definitely something to consider if you are thinking about sports or other action photography where you may not have time to change cards for awhile. 

Chrisf

Chrisf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag

If you plan on getting into birding I would suggest 300mm and upwards for a lens. I currently shoot with a 400mm and at times it's not quite enough for the distance. You can get a good 70-300mm Nikkor zoom for around $500.

CanadiaNikon

CanadiaNikon

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Country Flag

In your case, I would consider the D5200.

It is a good (although smaller) body with a great sensor, articulating screen (which can assist with composition) and not something that you would likely outgrow quickly.

Chrisf

Chrisf

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Country Flag

Another thing to  consider is that while the d5200 may be great for learning. It is a more menu based camera, which I find to be hindering. Also it will not allow screw drive mount lenses to auto focus if the OP ever intends to purchase any of those. Also a 24 mp sensor would amplify any user error.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner