Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Camera will not focus

focus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

WDBane

WDBane

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Everyone.

I thought I would put this out there to see if anyone is having similar issues to me with a D500 and a Nikkor 200-500.

Lately, I have been having a lot of issues with going to focus on something and nothing happens...nothing engages.

I have to rectify it by turning the camera on off and back on...this sometimes works, other times I have to detach the lens and reattach.

I have cleaned both lens and camera settings several times now with a lint free cloth and also used lens wipes on them, yet this issue continues and is be becoming highly frustrating...any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Check that the contact blocks in both lens and camera are tight. Check that the spring-loaded contact points all move freely. Clean the lens mounts and contacts with Deoxit gold.

dswan

dswan

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Country Flag

Wow.  I have a similar problem with a D5500.  Auto focus goes crazy and it won't shoot.  I've tried cleaning everything, etc, so no avail.  It's worse near water or grass, and hopeless near both water and sunlight glint but somewhat better if I don't take any time to compose my image....just shoot really fast.

Maybe between the two of us, we can find a solution since half of the time, I end up using my old camera or my phone to save the day.

The only solution I've had (haven't done that yet) is to toss the thing in the lake and report it stolen.

Ellinor William

Ellinor William

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Country Flag

Check that both the lens and the camera switches are both pointing towards Autofocus. On the camera it must be set on AF, not M, and on the lens put it to M/A (A stands for Autofocus and M for Manual, M/A allows you to use both). Also, Check your AEL/AFL button that you haven’t locked focus. Clicking it once locks focus so click it another time to unlock focus. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: focus