Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

depth-of-field preview?

d5200

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStanwood, WA USA

Does the D5200 have a depth-of-field preview mode. On my old film Nikon I could push a button on the front of the case to see the depth of field in the view finder. Maybe this happens automatically now. I just got my new camera delivered via FedEx and although a bit overwhelmed am having a blast.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I think they all do. It should be right next to the lens, or slightly below it, probably on the right-hand side as it is facing the subject. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Unfortunately Nikon believes that camera users below 7XXX level prefers to take a picture and judge DoF on the screen. I don't think it is even assignable through firmware.

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStanwood, WA USA

Thank you guys for the response. My old film camera had the external button, but I don't see anything on my camera.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

Don't think the Nikon D5200 has it.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Depth of Field preview buttons have pretty much become obsolete in the digital age, as you can just fire a test shot at any aperture and quickly check it on your LCD.  Even though I would still rather judge sharpness live in the viewfinder.

They were very handy in the film days, as you couldn't see your finished shot until a few days later when you got the prints back from the lab.

DanielJamesVersace

DanielJamesVersace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdelaide

I can tell you that the D5100 didn't have it, So i don't believe it would.

Squibs

Squibs

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorfolk, United kingdom.

I'm glad you raised this Tom, as this was going to be my next question. I've a D3200. It hasn't a button dedicated to DOF, however I've seen people whilst researching, sliding a  finger nail to a small wedge on the mount ring of the camera body. Absolutely bemused by this action as I've no information on this at all. I suspect it's used with other lenses, but I can't fined anything to support this either.

The d3200 and d5200 are cracking cameras by the way. My cameras' treated like a new born. You know, pampered and carried everywhere.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d5200