Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tamron lens disassembly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

I have a Tamron 24mm f2.5 which has ‘play’ on the focus ring. There is approximately 1mm travel in any position before focus starts to take effect. Anyone here know how to take it apart. No screws are visible.

Alternatively, am I wasting my time as the fault is likely to be due to worn components?

Pictures attached for recognition purposes.

Attached Thumbnails

• 001_1.JPG
  • 002_2.JPG
  • 003_3.JPG

tonyzoc

tonyzoc

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a Tamron 24mm f2.5 which has ‘play’ on the focus ring. There is approximately 1mm travel in any position before focus starts to take effect. Anyone here know how to take it apart. No screws are visible.

Alternatively, am I wasting my time as the fault is likely to be due to worn components?

Pictures attached for recognition purposes.

I'm not sure exactly for this lens...but I would try to remove the front inner ring (With the Tamron badge and focal length etc...) Using a rubber stopper or similar tool. Check to make sure there is no set screw. Once removed you may be able to remove the filter ring. What I would be looking for are screws that hold the focus ring in place. They may ride in a chanel and allow adjustment of the infinity position. If they came loose, it would explain the movement of the focus ring you've described. Another place to look in under the rubber grip on the focus ring. I'm basing this info on my experience with other lenses...not the Tamron. Also look on YouTube for a disassembly guide for similar era Tamron lenses...many fixed mount of that era are similar enough to give you some hints where to look.

Btw...if you find set screws that hold the focus ring in place than to set the infinity scale correctly focus the camera on a distant subject, the position the ring to line up the infinity marking....then tighten it down. You might want to use locktight or nail polish to help freeze the screws in place.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Many thanks for your input tonyzoc.

Your suggestions make good sense, and an approach I hadn't considered.

Since posting my question, the lens in question has left my possession.

This occurred after a discussion with the person who provided it.

In short - I'll keep an eye out for another one!