Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

LCD screen on D3500 turned high contrast green Reset without Results

lcd screen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Skeep

Skeep

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

I've been shooting with this D3500 for several years, have never had any issues.  Great camera, however, on a recent trip back from Italy, where I also live currently, I hand carried my camera case.  It did go through security  scanners at the airport.  No dropping, no kicking, no bad language was used.

Upon arrival at home with my SD card in, I turned on my camera to take some shots and the backside LCD screen was terribly green.  I looked at some troubleshooting comments etc. So, I reset all I could reset with no results.  Below is the results of my frustration. 

Any ideas other than Resets?  This camera has not been dropped and had not been  drinking either.

Appreciate the ideas.

Skeep

Attached Thumbnails

• Nikon D3500 Screen problem (200x150).jpg

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Hello Skeep

what happens if you switch to ‘classic’ view, (page 208 reference manual)?

When displaying a picture, is that also green?

If yes, my guess is the screen or chip driving it is faulty.

Skeep

Skeep

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Pete,

Thanks for posting.  I just saw this.  I looked for "Classic View" but I do not find that on my menu.  Nikon also suggested to me to reset the camera.  I have done that as well with  no success.  

I hand carried my camera bag on the aircraft from Italy a couple months back and it was never dropped or thown, or stepped upon, plus, it doesn't have Covid thank God.  But still the screen is old school green.

Am at my wits end. I've not idea.  And, due to the aforementioned pandemic, there are no camera shops left in my local area.  

Thanks for your response rom Kent nonetheless.  Good day!

Skeep

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,753 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Skeep - you didn't say if your pictures are also green on the display.

If you search 'info display format' within the downloaded manual from Nikon (D3500RM_(En)01), you should see a description of the various formats available.

Like yourself, I always hand carry my camera when flying. I've never been asked to have it x-ray scanned though.

Skeep

Skeep

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Good comment, yes, the photos on the SD card are all in green format.  In the format for display, I use no filters, just show image.  Plus, the images on the SD card when  inserted in my laptop are all fine.  

I've done every reset possible including hard resets like remove battery, insert, reboot etc.  Can't  seem to find anything responsible for this nor any way to return to a normal display.  

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,753 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

It does sound like a display fault. I had a quick look at firmware availability at Nikon's site, but none is available for the D3500.

This rather limits your options:

1 Use an external monitor (smart phone) via the HDMI output - not very practical when you're out & about.

2 Get it repaired - not likely at the moment.

3 Consider replacement camera.

Personally I'd use it as an excuse to upgrade, but I appreciate that would be a considerable investment.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
I join Pete in his analysis.

The problem may be as simple as an oxydation of the contact for the red, but can also be a fissured cable, a channel defect on the circuit board or the lcd.

Getting it repaired will likely cost as much or more than the camera is worth due to technicians cost, but I would still ask at the store you bought it from to get a cost estimate.

Skeep

Skeep

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks all, 

I've fiddled and fiddled, read your comments, and have to agree that it's probably an internal issue for which I have no recourse to fix.  It's strange, but I purchased this online, so it was probably a defective unit to begin with sold on the secondary market, arrrrrgh.

Well I think I'll reset my case at this point. Will begins shopping for a mirrorless unit next I think.  If you all have pointers for me I am happy to receive the  advice.  

Greatefully, the last several hundred photos I took were in Venice with my wife and those are safely  on my harddrive, whew!   

Skeep

Skeep

Skeep

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Update on the situation with the green LCD screen.  

I contacted Nikon and they reviewed the situation and said it was fixable for about  $150 bucks.  I decided to go ahead with the fix.  I don't have the expertise to open the camera any which way, so, I will welcome this fix.  Hopefully it is back before I travel back to Italy in November!  

I will update my conclusions here as I realize others may be looking over  my shoulder on how this worked for their own situations.  

Stay tuned. 

Skeep

Skeep

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Well, I'm happy to report the defective  elements have been repaired. I did not have any warranty so I paid for the repair.  I will say that Nikon was  very responsive to my 3500 dilemma and was courteous and careful about all aspects of the fix.   So, I will enjoy this 3500 a bit longer!  

• Ron likes this

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 1,753 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Good result!

Hopefully in time for your holiday - look forward to seeing some of your pictures.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lcd screen