Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon changes game plan

compatability

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStanwood, WA USA

http://www.diyphotog...ess-ecosyste...

Looks like Nikon may be moving towards the Apple and Adobe of proprietary model. If by doing this they limit the ability of users to use third party lenses etc. it will not create good will among current users. I hope this is not true! I have used Nikon since 1969 but have been forced due to lack of funds to get secondary lenses that at Nikon as much as I would have liked to. At least I still had the great Nikon camera body.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway
This is very bad for Nikon to do.

It should help Canon sales immensely, however.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Oh, no…really? Most of us are probably fine for now, but when it comes time for an upgrade? Might as well start over with Canon. Ugh.

I hope I don't end up wishing I had bought that Mark III.

I don't have any third-party lenses, but I definitely have plans to get some (Tamron 24-70 is high on my list!).

Upham

Upham

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

I would like to know why exactly Nikon changed their mount and auto-focus communications mechanism. Maybe they just improved it and Sigma did not keep up

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag

Hopefully it will all work out in a reasonable way for Nikon and for users alike. This seems to be a corporate way of doing business currently and unfortuanately will continue to spread. 

Cliff Hairston

Cliff Hairston

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationChristchurch, NZ

It's one thing to change due to progress and redesign needs. It's a completely different kettle of fish to change to block. If old Nikon lenses work fine and third-party lenses don't, this sounds like the latter. Nikon should just release an SDK and let the third parties go at it and compete on superior quality. They are already selling the body to people who want it, why not freely let us choose the lenses we want. In some cases, that might not be a Nikon branded lens. 

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag

I agree whole heartedly! 

lana3174

lana3174

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

this should be interesting 

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

It's not the first time Sigma lenses have been less than fully-functional with a new Nikon DSLR. It happened with the D7000 and some Sigmas, so it's nothing new. It's difficult to know whether Nikon have made changes to the newer bodies to improve the way their own lenses work, or just to mess up the Sigmas. The bodies certainly remain within Nikon's internal specification, because all Nikkors still work with them.

I agree that it would be better if Nikon were to make the interface specification available to 3rd Party lens manufacturers (for a fee, obviously) but they don't do that, and there's no guarantee that Sigma would take them up on it if they did.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

This is always a risk one takes with the reverse-engineered solutions in third-party lenses. it is definitely not a new thing either, back in the mists of ancient times Tokina had a couple of zooms that needed upgrading to work with the F100 and F5... Nikon have probably found a way to utilize the parameters output from the chip in a new way, and that part of the protocol was not detectable when Sigma reverse-engineered their chip.

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag

That sounds reasonable.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

http://www.diyphotog...ess-ecosyste...

Looks like Nikon may be moving towards the Apple and Adobe of proprietary model. If by doing this they limit the ability of users to use third party lenses etc. it will not create good will among current users. I hope this is not true! I have used Nikon since 1969 but have been forced due to lack of funds to get secondary lenses that at Nikon as much as I would have liked to. At least I still had the great Nikon camera body.

Preventing third party lens support would be like shooting themselves in the foot.  I don't think that's the idea, but perhaps they're modernizing the mount going forward?

Tom Kauffman

Tom Kauffman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks Adam, I think you are likely right. Thanks 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I agree with Adam.  Personally, I think it is probably something that has been built in for years, but Nikon is now using it in a different way or has just started taking advantage of that...I remember years ago a similar situation with a third party computer company that supported all the "currently used" settings of a major company...problem is, most of the settings were for future use and that company totally ignored the fact that they might be used...they said that IF a new setting got used, they would update at that time...it sounds quite a bit like that...

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Sounds like someone at Nikon is not doing their homework and sniffing around forums like ours, to see just how many Nikon users really buy 3rd party lenses.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

I hope Adam's suggestion is correct above. From a personal point of view, the abilitiy to use a range of lenses is one of the benefits that kept me with Nikon.

dubiousone

dubiousone

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationArizona Territory

I think it would be very short-sighted of Nikon to make changes that affect the user's ability to use third party lenses and for...what? So you HAVE to buy Nikon glass?

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I think Upham has this one nailed... Nikon made some adjustments to the way the lenses communicate w/ the bodies and Sigma's reverse engineering was not compatible. Notice that the article only specifically mentions Sigma, not Tokina or Tamron?

I would like to know why exactly Nikon changed their mount and auto-focus communications mechanism. Maybe they just improved it and Sigma did not keep up

robertprice

robertprice

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Just when Nikon where making good progress into Canon's dominence

Chasing Light in MD

Chasing Light in MD

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

My Tamron lenses are not having any issues yet ....I hope.  Maybe Nikon is striking back at Sigma for the patent lawsuit they lost against them.