Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Program mode Nikon D5200

program d5200 depth of field

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Ashokr

Ashokr

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi there,

I have a Nikon D5200 with a 18-55mm kit lens. In Program mode, I cannot change my depth of field. When I dial the knob, a star (*) appears next to P, but my shutter speed and aperture stays the same. Can somebody tell me what is going on and how can I fix this? Thanks.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

In Program mode the camera makes those decisions for you.  In Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual, those settings are under your control.  In Shutter Priority, you select a shutter speed and the camera adjusts the aperture based on the light meter.  In Aperture Priority, you select the aperture and the camera adjusts the shutter speed based on the light meter.  Note that you will want to check the settings the camera selects and perhaps adjust to get the settings you need.  The ISO is the third side of the triangle and helps determine the exposure settings as well.  The higher the ISO, the more sensitive the sensor is to light, but the higher ISOs can add grain to an image. 

Be sure to keep your shutter speed high enough to avoid camera shake.  Generally that means a shutter speed faster than the size of the zoom lens or prime lens - 1/60 for an 18-55  or 1/300 as minimum examples.  Some folks can hold the camera steady at slower speeds but that is a general reference point until you have the chance to test.  I used to be able to hold much steadier than I can now being older.  A tripod or monopod for a longer lens or slower exposure can help quite a bit for those situations...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: program, d5200, depth of field