Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5100 Autofocus suddenly stopped working

d5100 autofocus problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

geejustus

geejustus

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello!

I've had a D5100 for 8 years now. After having recorded some video last week, earlier today I picked it up for some more recording and the autofocus was simply not working (I noticed it with the 28mm f1.8). I checked every possible setting and everything was just as I had always used it, including the switch on the lens.

I switched the camera on and off, tried removing the battery and changing lenses. The only thing that seemed to work was attaching the 50mm f1.8 AND assigning autofocus to the AE-L/AF-L button on the back. The shutter release "half-press" focusing didn't work with that lens either.

Switching back to the 28mm, not even the back button focus worked, although when I pressed it I noticed a very quiet squeaking sound coming from the lens, as if the autofocus engine was struggling to function. A similar but less problematic issue happens with the 18-55 kit lens, which, since a few years ago, always seems to need a little "push" from my hand on the focus ring so that it can autofocus.

I'm well aware that the D5100 is an entry-level DSLR and that I've probably already abused its worklife with over 15k clicks and a lot of video recording, but I was really hoping there would be some kind of home fix that could avoid me having to take it to service and postpone its unavoidable death for even a few months, as I'm in the middle of recording an ad video.

Some help would be much appreciated!

Ellinor William

Ellinor William

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Country Flag

Check if all these have the right settings.

1) On the lens, the slider control to switch between manual and auto focus

2) In the camera settings, switch the auto focus "on"

3) In the camera settings, set the focus mode to "continuous mode"

if these options are all right, then your camera must be able to auto focus. but if not then there definitely may be a shutter release problem.

Just check if the shutter release actually works or not? Is it able to shoot a photo (in manual focus)

You can also try and get a remote shutter release and try if the semi-click helps in focusing.(this will clear the doubt if the fault is with the shutter release button on the camera.

If nothing works, the same-- head straight to the authorized service center  :)

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

I note the OP hasn't been back since 16/8/2021.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d5100, autofocus, problem