Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Colour Differences - Dual-Shooting Z6 & Z6ii

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

lavenhamphoto

lavenhamphoto
  • Country Flag

I 'dual-wield' a pair of Z's when I shoot weddings. My original Nikon Z6 and a Z6ii . Sync the times together, integrate all the images from  both cameras and edit the complete set in Lightroom balancing the colouring etc for a uniform look. I apply a preset on import to Lightroom as I always have, as a starting point, before stepping through every image one by one to be checked/corrected before the final output.

On my previous setup, two D810's the identical cameras, (regardless of the brand of lens used) would have the same colour cast, applying a preset would give the same results to photos taken in the same lighting. But with the Z6 and Z6ii being different models, the colour between the two is hugely different. mostly it's the Tint of the images - one camera's images would be extremely magenta, and if I made a specific preset to counteract, I'd make the other camera's images too green! SO I have attempted to make two presets, and I filter the results in Lightroom's Library tab and apply a different preset to each. But I'm really struggling to get the colours correct, which feels like it adds a lot of time to the editing process.

I've gone through the menus of the cameras and checked they are both using the same colour profile, same white balance settings etc. Anything else I can do to get a clean, unaltered image from both cameras that would give the same results in the edit? I think I heard somewhere that the Z cameras apply some colour settings to the RAWs, and not just the JPGs as previous models?

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Would it help to make profiles for both cameras using a Colorchecker? I don't use Adobe for critical raw conversion anymore, but the colorchecker support used to be good, even if it was necessary to convert the calibration photos to DNG... 

Are you sure that the cast doesn't come from how ACR interprets the files? Have you tried any other raw converter to rule this out?