Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fountain at night.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I love photographing water. I took these last night around 8pm. It's a fountain in my town. 

DSC_2512-3-L.jpg

DSC_2511-L.jpg

Nikon D7100, 50mm 1.8 lens, wide open, auto ISO. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Nice shots Alden! 

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks! 

I want to set up a tripod down there and try some long exposures, and some faster ones too.

These were 1/320 at ISO 1250. 

I want to do some three to five second exposures and some 1/1000 second exposures too. 

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Excellent! I especially love the first one. Love, love, love!

Thanks for the inspiration…we've got a new retail development with some beautiful fountains right down the road--maybe I need to go give it a shot. Except that apparently they throw you out if you're a professional photographer making money, which I am not, but I wonder what they'll do if I show up with a tripod? Hmm...

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks for the inspiration…we've got a new retail development with some beautiful fountains right down the road--maybe I need to go give it a shot. Except that apparently they throw you out if you're a professional photographer making money, which I am not, but I wonder what they'll do if I show up with a tripod? Hmm...

Just make sure to get a couple of pix before they pounce on you!  :P

We actually have a new one here as well, but I think they turned it off for the winter...I like the idea of shooting the fountains though...might have to become a project for various area fountains...

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Two Shots I took of the same fountain, one at sunset and one at night.  Learning to use slower shutter speed, and also am new to night photography.  The building is a local Recreation Center where I live.

Attached Thumbnails

• fountain at night0035.jpg
  • fountain at sunset0033_2.jpg

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Excellent! I especially love the first one. Love, love, love!

To the lay person, someone with a tripod is definitely a professional, so watch out!

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I was at a local museum the other day.  I noticed they have a policy; no tripods and no flash.  I understand the no flash as to what damage continuous flash shots may cause to a painting.  But no tripod?  It may be as stated above, a tripod marks a person as a professional.  Will the day come when there will be tripod flash mobs?

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

I was at a local museum the other day.  I noticed they have a policy; no tripods and no flash.  I understand the no flash as to what damage continuous flash shots may cause to a painting.  But no tripod?  It may be as stated above, a tripod marks a person as a professional.  Will the day come when there will be tripod flash mobs?

Why don't you organize one? That would be hilarious. :)

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

To the lay person, someone with a tripod is definitely a professional, so watch out!

Ha ha! You're probably being a bit tongue-in-cheek here, but I was just there a few days ago taking a few pictures of my daughter in front of the fountains. Had my backpack with all my lenses and such. A couple security guards came over and watched me, and as soon as I packed up my gear, they walked away. I am most likely being paranoid. But now I think I will go with my tripod just to see what happens.

Dean, I don't think tripods are the mark of a professional, but I do think they can be obstructions to traffic and hazards to people walking around them (and those people can be hazards to your gear!), so I could understand why a museum would not want them used.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Yes, there are some particular impressions one gets out on the street of people with cameras and/or tripods:

Single (by single I just mean alone) guy with DSLR - creep

Two guys with DSLRs - could go either way, either super creepy or super professionals depending on their actions/what they are shooting

Two guys with DSLRs but accompanied by a girl - normal

Single guy with DSLR and tripod - normal/professional

Guy with DSLR accompanied by a girl - normal

Single girl with a DSLR - completely normal

Girl with DSLR accompanied by a guy - normal

Single guy with DSLR with kids - normal

Single girl with DSLR and kids - completely normal

Single guy with DSLR with kids but not taking pictures of his kids - creepy

Single girl with DSLR with kids but not taking pictures of her kids - normal

Single guy with DSLR and tripod and kids and not taking pictures of the kids - super creepy

Single girl with DSLR and tripod and kids and not taking pictures of the kids - super normal

Guy and girl with DSLR and tripod and either one of them not taking pictures of the kids - normal

Single guy with DSLR and tripod and kids but taking pictures of the kids - completely normal

Hmm, do you see where I'm going with this.  B)

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

It would seem that the popular prejudice is that most guys with DSLRs are basically creepy. 

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

It would seem that the popular prejudice is that most guys with DSLRs are basically creepy.

No, I was mostly just being humorous. There can definitely be some misconceptions, though. A lot of it is gear, who the guy is with, what they are shooting, etc.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Definitely misconceptions out there...for example, I was going to shoot a high school girl's volleyball game after work and a co-worker asked what I was going to photograph that night...I told him that I hoped I got some great pictures of teenage girls...  :) It's all in the presentation!

To answer the question that I know will come...yes, he knew I photographed high school sports, but it still took him a minute to process the statement...then he asked what sport...got him the next day too as I walked by his office on my way out and said "girls last night - boys tonight..."

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

K-9, I know you were being funny, but I think you were right too.

I suppose anyone with a camera can be creepy, guy or gal, depending on what they're doing with it, as you and Sports2Pix have both said.

I would be creeped out if any stranger was taking a picture of me and especially of my daughter, unless it was in a setting where I would expect it, like a wedding or sports event. I know some people really enjoy doing street photography--not me. Perhaps I'm limiting myself by being "shy," but I feel like I'm violating privacy by snapping photos of strangers--mostly because I would feel violated if someone did that to me. As you all have said, it's about context.

And what a digression from fountains at night. :) Sorry, Alden. My goal this weekend is to go shoot those fountains with my tripod.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Alden taking photos of fountains at night - not creepy.

There, I've tied everything in together nicely. ;)

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I also like to shoot sports.  My kids/grandkids live elsewhere, so I go to local events and practice.  We were driving in the Scottsdale area last Sunday and happened by a 5K run about to start.  Just had to stop.  

There were plenty of photographers present so I didn't look out of place.  But then I think photographers do not look out of place at a sporting event.  It was a nice 20 minutes or so watching so many people having fun at what they do. Once you get past the front two or three rows the runners are quite friendly and excited to be part of an event.  Look at the little girl on the left, She is genuinely excited to be with her dad and be part of the event.

Attached Thumbnails

• little girl jumping.jpg

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Definitely misconceptions out there...for example, I was going to shoot a high school girl's volleyball game after work and a co-worker asked what I was going to photograph that night...I told him that I hoped I got some great pictures of teenage girls... :) It's all in the presentation!

To answer the question that I know will come...yes, he knew I photographed high school sports, but it still took him a minute to process the statement...then he asked what sport...got him the next day too as I walked by his office on my way out and said "girls last night - boys tonight..."

Bwahahahahaha!! Now that's funny!!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yea, it was definitely funny...but it is also something that I'm careful of as Nicole said.  Even at sporting events, I have gotten some technically fine shots that I don't publish.  Don't want to embarass anyone and there are times teens can be pretty mean to each other!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Oh...and sorry Alden for the hijack of your thread!  I wish I could say the high school had a fountain! 

Here's as close as I can get....

TL SouthLakes 3588