Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Why the foggy scenery background?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

dragon49

dragon49

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Country Flag

Using a Nikon Coolpix B600.  I've had this issue with scenery pics, but am wondering whether this is a coincidence and maybe my lens had been fogged up at the time.  I did see the same fogginess in the viewfinder while I was taking the pictures.  Reasonably certain the that the fogginess didn't actually exist.  Please see the following two examples.  If this is something with the camera having a hard time with the background lighting, is there something I can do to compensate?

BQskhyg.jpg

jac92aq.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It might be atmospheric haze. If that is the case, it isn’t always visible to the naked eye. You might be able to mount a polarizing filter to cut through haze.

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Atmospheric haze is a problem at times where I live also.  The best you can do is look around at distant things like a mountain to get an idea of clarity for that day, or sometimes that time of day.  I've never had it as bad as in those two photos you posted though, could that be fog or mist rising?

dragon49

dragon49

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Country Flag

Atmospheric haze is a problem at times where I live also.  The best you can do is look around at distant things like a mountain to get an idea of clarity for that day, or sometimes that time of day.  I've never had it as bad as in those two photos you posted though, could that be fog or mist rising?

I had pics with worse atmospheric haze, but discarded them.  I'll have to post more extreme examples when I come across them.  I don't know if that could have been fog or mist rising.  I'm currently living in South Florida and we are the middle of tropical rainy season.  I've never been here in the summer before and the weather is very weird.  

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It might be worth investigating getting a good polarizer from Nisi or B+W. The problem on compacts is that you usually have to adapt the filter to get it to fit.

Solutions can range from buying an adapter via designing and 3D-printing one to the full McGyver solutions involving gaffer's tape or vinyl tape.

audioscavenger

audioscavenger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Country Flag
Would dehaze option in Lightroom help?

dragon49

dragon49

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Country Flag

Would dehaze option in Lightroom help?

I don't have Lightroom.  Looks like my ancient Photoshop Elements 9 doesn't have a dehaze feature.  I used the auto smart fix feature on one of the examples and it did some defogging, but there is still haziness.  I don't mind capturing nature's imperfections, but my examples look strange because of the spottiness of the haze.  If I had better photoshop skills, I'm sure I could improve on the final product.  This isn't a huge deal so far, as it doesn't affect most of my scenery pics, but it does occur on at least a few pictures each outing which is why I started the thread.  We'll see what happens this weekend on the trails.  Here is the auto smart fixed version.

xKghHMh.jpg

audioscavenger

audioscavenger

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Country Flag

I strongly advise that you look into Lightroom.
There is a torrent around with Verizon 6 if you want to try before you buy.
I never wanted to retouch pictures and always tried to have the best shots so I don't have to.
But after trying it, I am not going back. Results are night and day

also,

this "haze" look more like godrays to me, with the sun being high in the top left corner of the picture

given that these pics are overexposed, how about you also add a hood with the polarizer?