Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D5600 autofocus not working at all

autofocus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

ptownevt

ptownevt

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I just bought a used D5600 and a new AF-P Nikkor70-300 mm lens.  I have the camera set to AF-A.  When I push the shutter button halfway down nothing happens.  Did I get a broken camera?  Am I missing something?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As it is a used body, the previous owner might have assigned focus to the AE-L/AF-L button.

Back-button focus is often preferable over the shutter button half-press way.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
As Peter mentioned, if you get a camera second hand previous owners may have configured cameras to their personal preferences.

Best is to start with a factory reset to have it behave as described in the user manual

For doing a factory reset:
1/ go to the camera menu
2/ select the tools submenu
3/ scroll down to the option for « Factory reset » and validate

Once reset, it will be easier to identify if the camera is working properly.

ptownevt

ptownevt

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Thank you both. That was the problem. I’ve reset it to the factory settings.

kerryw

kerryw

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

i have a nikon 3200 i have read all the helpful posts re auto focus not working .I have 2 nikon lens and neither auto focus. I have reset to factory settings and pressed the AEL/AFL button and still its not working . Can anyone advise pleae ?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

i have a nikon 3200 i have read all the helpful posts re auto focus not working .I have 2 nikon lens and neither auto focus. I have reset to factory settings and pressed the AEL/AFL button and still its not working . Can anyone advise pleae ?

What lenses are they?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: autofocus