Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikkor AF 28mm f/2.8D or Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G

nikon lens portrait

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Nasseh

Nasseh

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi guys,

I have a Nikon D90 and want to buy a portrait lens for it. I did a little search and narrowed the results to two choices :  Nikkor AF 28mm f/2.8D which can be used in a full frame camera as well and a bit more expensive and Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G which is also a good lens but only DX format.

Please help me which one is better. In case you have another suggestion I will be grateful if you would let me know.

Regards

Nesster

Nesster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Site Supporter

I have the 28 AF-D, though to my surprise it doesn't have such a great rep with the Nikon aficionados. The 35 (I don't have experience, though I do use a manual focus AiS 35/2, which is wonderful) has a great rep, plus the angle of view may be a bit better for portraits.

You can hunt for a 28, sometimes they can be had very cheaply, and thus get both! :)

B Grace

B Grace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Country Flag

Of all of the Nikon AF primes the AF28/2.8D (same formula as the AF28/2.8 and the Series E 28/2.8) has the reputation of being the softest lens of the bunch.  I've had one for about ten years and I find it's a good lens, not a great one, especially on my D40x.  I saw decent results shooting it with my N80 with film.  All of that said, the AF28/2.8D returning soft results might just make it a decent portrait lens, depending on your desired results.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Hi, neither of those are portrait lenses on a crop sensor.  The 35mm is the better choice for people shots, as it gives you a 52mm full frame view, and a tighter crop for people, but the 50mm f.18 G would be your ideal "portrait" lens on a DX camera.  The 28mm is too wide and if you start getting close with it, it can distort people's faces.  

Nesster

Nesster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Site Supporter

Hi, neither of those are portrait lenses on a crop sensor.  The 35mm is the better choice for people shots, as it gives you a 52mm full frame view, and a tighter crop for people, but the 50mm f.18 G would be your ideal "portrait" lens on a DX camera.  The 28mm is too wide and if you start getting close with it, it can distort people's faces.  

That is true... however, as counterpoint, back when Annie Leibowitz was a 'real' photographer for Rolling Stone, she used Nikon F and her favorite portrait lens was the 35mm... she says because that let her include more of the surroundings.

Nasseh

Nasseh

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Country Flag

Thank you guys for your responses. I do have a 50mm f1.8D and it's a fairly good lens. I have only  two problems with that : first, it is slow in focusing and second the angel of view is very close (around 30 deg. in DX format) otherwise if I can focus precisely on the point that I want, it makes sharp and great pictures. That's why I decided to think about 35mm for my D90. 

Maybe 50mm f1.8G with internal motor solves the first problem but the second problem is still there.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

That is true... however, as counterpoint, back when Annie Leibowitz was a 'real' photographer for Rolling Stone, she used Nikon F and her favorite portrait lens was the 35mm... she says because that let her include more of the surroundings.

Yes, a 35mm suits her well with her cinematic style and group shots.  I guess it depends on what style portraits you will be doing.  Nasseh, you won't get any intimate closeups or head shots with the wider lenses.  If you aren't doing anything as tight as that, I'd go with the 35mm.  Keep in mind they just announced an FX 35mm f1.8 so if you want something that could be compatible if you move up to FX, go with that over the DX 35mm.

Nasseh

Nasseh

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks K-9 and Nesster

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationArbroath, Scotland.

Site Supporter

Hmmm, an interesting thread. My wife is going to treat me to a new lens next month and I was thinking about the 50 mm f1.8 or the 35 mm f1.8
I have a D5100 and just couldn't decide. Having read the above I am leaning more towards the 50mm. Would you agree with that choice.
I love birthdays, oh, and my wife

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

Depends on what you shoot, Ian, but I would take a 50mm over a 35mm every time.  I can just back up if I need to fit more in the frame! :D  And no distortion like with the 35mm.  I hate distortion, even though it's easy to fix.  My main wide angle lens is the Nikkor AI-S 28mm which is rectilinear. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Hmmm, an interesting thread. My wife is going to treat me to a new lens next month and I was thinking about the 50 mm f1.8 or the 35 mm f1.8
I have a D5100 and just couldn't decide. Having read the above I am leaning more towards the 50mm. Would you agree with that choice.
I love birthdays, oh, and my wife

Tell her you want the 600 f4...once she sees the price, you might be able to bargain for both!  :lol:

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Didn't work................  :D

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Didn't work................ :D

Tell her u will buy her a gift too, it worked for me. :)

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Hmmmmmmm, wouldn't i be better just buying it myself then.  I like yer thinking though  :D

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

True I just skimmed through your post missed the part that u were getting it for a birthday present. But just keep it in mind for the future that if u want to buy something expensive then buy her a little gift at the same time and u might get your way. :)

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

New toy arrived yesterday  :D

Just need to find time to get out and play with it, and post some results obviously.................

Happy Ian.

Nasseh

Nasseh

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Country Flag

New toy arrived yesterday  :D

Just need to find time to get out and play with it, and post some results obviously.................

Happy Ian.

Great ! Which one did you buy eventually ? I would like to see the results with 5100.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon lens, portrait