Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

using wireless flash with d5100

flash

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

dennyg2013

dennyg2013

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
I recently bought a Bolt vs-510n wireless speed strobe to use with my d5100. I know how to set the flash up. My question is do I have to actually fire the onboard flash to set off the bolt, meaning is it the light or is there an infered signal that fires the bolt. When I am in manual mode and the onboard flash is down will it fire the bolt.

yauman

yauman

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMartinez, CA

It's a standard Nikon-compatible iTTL strobe so it's fired by either the built-in flash or a master flash mounted on the camera. So, whether you use the auto TTL mode or in manual, you have to have your on-camera flash popped up to fire it.  You can set your on-camera pop-up flash to be in a CMD mode only so it doesn't contribute significantly to the lighting of the subject. Look in menu under Shooting/Flash setting to set your pop-up flash as Commander (CMD) only mode.   Hope this helps.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

As far as I know, the D5100 does not have a commnander flash mode, so you would have to pick up some radio triggers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flash