Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Aftermarket (Godox) Speedlight - Z6 doesn't drop Shutter Speed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

lavenhamphoto

lavenhamphoto

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Over the weekend I thought I had a problem with my SB-5000 (Seems OK with a fresh set of batteries this morning - typical - I did try several sets on the day but it was flashing very inconsistently!) and tried one of my Godox 860ii speedlights, which I thought could do a good enough job in TTL as a backup solution.

However the first thing I noticed was that when I switched the flash on, the camera's shutter speed remained unchanged. Usually, with a Nikon Speedlight, it would drop to 1/250th, (I don't have HSL turned on) but it seems the Godox is always working in HSL mode. Anyone know if this can be turned off in the flash itself? I tested the Z6 with different flash sync speeds in camera but they didn't change the behaviour of the flash.

bkmood

bkmood

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationArizona

I don't know the particulars of your equipment but it seems to me your flash isn't communicating with your camera in the same way an OEM flash would.  That happens with 3rd party flashes.  Have you checked Youtube for an instructional video?  Somebody's probably done one.

PebblzNnutz

PebblzNnutz

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAlaska

Site Supporter

Over the weekend I thought I had a problem with my SB-5000 (Seems OK with a fresh set of batteries this morning - typical - I did try several sets on the day but it was flashing very inconsistently!) and tried one of my Godox 860ii speedlights, which I thought could do a good enough job in TTL as a backup solution.

However the first thing I noticed was that when I switched the flash on, the camera's shutter speed remained unchanged. Usually, with a Nikon Speedlight, it would drop to 1/250th, (I don't have HSL turned on) but it seems the Godox is always working in HSL mode. Anyone know if this can be turned off in the flash itself? I tested the Z6 with different flash sync speeds in camera but they didn't change the behaviour of the flash.

Is it in iTTL mode? Check to see if it has the latest firmware. The latest one for Nikon is v1.9.

lavenhamphoto

lavenhamphoto

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I think I may have realised something - I bought this flash for Off-Camera use mainly, with having a TTL backup in mind, but when I was investing in a few Fuji cameras - so this is actually the Fuji version of the Godox 860ii. My guess is the Nikon version would behave correctly!

Does anyone here have a Godox 860ii ? I'd like to confirm that the shutter speed would automatically drop when the flash is turned on