Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Any opinions on Viltrox lenses?

85mm 1.8 z-mount

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

DocMD

DocMD

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello all,

Looking for a new lens for my Z6II. Want a portrait lens, 85mm or 105mm, but not sure I want to shell out $800-$1000 at this time. Saw a Viltrox 85mm 1.8 Autofocus lens, and wondering if anyone has experience, good or bad, with this brand or this lens. (But I AM really considering new Nikkor, even the 2.8 zooms.)

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

~M.D.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

It seems to be a good lens for the price, but make sure your raw converter or editor can handle CA. Remember that it is easier to correct CA as early as possible, so you would ideally want the CA correction in the profile for the lens. Not many converters do this. With the sweet spot @f/5.6 or so, it is a better match for the Z6II than the Z7II as the higher resolution will run into the Nyquist frequency and thus diffraction earlier.

The Nikon Z 85/1.8 has its sweet spot @f/4 and is nearly free from CA...

For me, the choice is easy, but I am waiting for either a dealer campaign or a Nikon cash back drive before I buy. 

DocMD

DocMD

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Country Flag

Nikon just had their 85mm 1.8 on sale for $100 off, which ended just as I began looking.

”Timing is everything.”