Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Memory Card Formatting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Johnb

Johnb

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNear Aylesbury. Bucks

Site Supporter

I have been using my camera with just one memory card in but want to add a second card. The first card has photos on it which I want to keep so do I remove it, put the second card in and format it, then replace the first card ?

Also I have another camera which I have just fitted two cards into, but do I have to format them individually, ie one at a time, or will they format together ?

Thanks in advance.  

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Try not to keep photos on a card too long. Get them on a computer or tablet and backed up as soon as you can. SD cards are not as reliable as SSD-s or HD-s.

If you have a card in use and get another that you want to get ready for use ASAP, before you need it, your solution is absolutely correct.

A camera with two card slots will only format the active slot. To do this, you can either format card 1, eject it and format card 2 or select which slot is active in the menus. I have always found the first method to be easier and more natural.

Johnb

Johnb

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNear Aylesbury. Bucks

Site Supporter

Thanks Merco