Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1961 Studebaker Hawk GT

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

On the last Saturday of each month, people bring their classic or modified cars and pickup trucks (it's Texas, after all :)) to our downtown area and display them around the historic square. As one would expect, many of the same vehicles are shown month after month. Occasionally, though, one that's not seen too often shows up. Today was one of those times when I saw a car I'd not seen before. The uniqueness of this car is described below.

"A 4-speed floor shift manual transmission became standard for 1961. Studebaker produced a total of 78,664 cars for 1961. Studebaker also produced a limited edition Studebaker Hawk called the 'Gran Turismo' and featured a four-barrel carbureted V8 mated to a four-speed transmission. They also had a dash plaque with the owner's name engraved on it. This model was different from the Gran Turismo Hawks that was offered between 1962 through 1964."

LLnaOqvh.jpg

yn4TVFwh.jpg

CPtRM7th.jpg

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Studebaker made some fine cars in the day!  My favorite was the 1950 Commander Star Liner coupe. 

Great shots of a fantastic automobile! 

bluzman

bluzman

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth Texas

Thanks

lightcapture

lightcapture

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNC

Nice car. I've always liked the Studebaker Avanti. It was a pretty high performance and fast car, shattering speed records at the Bonneville Salt Flats.