Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NEF Raw Editing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

rainshot

rainshot

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

I've never taken raw images before but I want to try now. I need to find software that is inexpensive to edit and view the files. What does everyone recommend? Lightroom costs about $10/mo. Hate to get that to start out but it seems to be what most recommend. I have a copy of Photoshop Elements 11 but haven't loaded it on this computer yet. I never had much luck with editing anything on it anyway. Should I load it and try it? 

g4aaw pete

g4aaw pete

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBirchington, North Kent Coast.

Site Supporter

Depends which computer operating your using.

If Windows10, how about Nikon's free NX Studio, available to download from Nikon direct?

regards

Pete

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If you want something free and reliable, why not give Capture NX-D and ViewNX-i a try. Available as either standalone installers or one install for both from Nikon's support page. Available for current versions of MacOS and Windows.

NX Studio works well on some systems and not so well on others. It is new and has some bugs still.

rainshot

rainshot

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks. I'm running Windows 10. I tried to download NX-D and Windows blocks the download. Says this type of file can damage your xxxxx something.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The install might need to be run as admin. I am not familiar with the current Windows boxen as I have used mainly Macs since the System 7 days.

rainshot

rainshot

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

There is probably wisdom in going to the Mac. They are expensive though less susceptible to corruption. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

At one point a few years ago (probably 10 years now...) I did some comparisons.  At that time the Windows systems with the same hardware specs (CPU, Memory and Storage) were basically the same price as a Mac.  The difference is you can buy Windows boxes with lesser hardware at a lower price.

I expect you will need to be an Admin to install any of the apps on a Windows system however I expect it was just giving you the "warning" that you were going to run an application that had been downloaded from the Internet and it could cause problems if you don't trust the source..

• Ron likes this