Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mirrorless v DSLR

mirrorless d850 battery life exposure control

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Seabass

Seabass

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my camera body and am trying to decide whether to go mirrorless of remain with DLSR - I currently have an old D3. I've narrowed my search down to the Nikon Z7* v D850. I've read quite a bit about the pro's and con's of each, but really would like to hear from someone who has either (or both) and can recommend beyond the technical facts about each. I'm also considering waiting for the next generation bodies - more pixels. Should I wait, or remain with the Z7 / D850?

I am an amateur photographer who mainly shoots landscape and B&W abstract. Image quality is really my goal and I do a bit of post process work in lightroom. 

Some other considerations I have: I plan to visit/hike some cold environments (-15 deg cel) and therefore I'm worried about battery life. Will battery life on the Z7 last in a cold environ or would the D850 be a better option. 

I have also been told that exposure control is much easier in a mirrorless. If anyone has experience in this I'd like to hear your option?

If anyone can share there experiences in relation to the above I would appreciate it. 

Regards, Seabass 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What lenses do you have? The FTZ needs AF-i, AF-S or AF-P lenses for AF to work when you use F-mount lenses on a Z.

The Z7 can charge from a power bank when turned off and the D850 can use quick-change trays in the vertical grip to keep the spare battery warm inside your jacket, so they can be about equal in the cold with the correct accessories. -15C isn't *that* cold, so you can probably get by with only one extra spare battery compared to summer conditions, even without any extra equipment.

Live histogram and live preview can be of help to judge exposure if you have picture controls that closely match your postprocessing. As you use LR, they will probably not match and not give the full advantage of the Z.

fallout666

fallout666

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

give tip and something to think about. nikon not on same level as canon or sony in mirrorless. and mirrorless not for all. so your better off renting before you buy. to see which one fits your needs. i only shot DSLR crop body's and my first full frame is mirrorless. when people ask why i like mirrorless is do not have shutter. but major thing i like about Z6 full frame is way better then crop sensor. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mirrorless, d850, battery life, exposure control