Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wide-angle Z or F

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Ridgewoodwoody

Ridgewoodwoody
  • Country Flag

I have a Z5 with the 24-200 Z lens. I've also got the FTZ adaptor to use wiuththe couple of F mount lenses I hung on to. I'd now like a wider-angle zoom and am trying to decide between saving up for there 14-30 f4  Z lens or getting the AF-S 16-35 f4 G to use with the adaptor - a nearly new example is for sale for just over half of what the 14-30 costs.

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

Merco_61

Merco_61
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

What will you be using the UWA for? The 16-35 has some distortion that is hard to correct at the wide end, so using it for architecture or other work with straight lines close to the edge of the photo makes for lots of work.

stevev

stevev
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Coast

Strictly amateur user.  I try to avoid tedious software correction of my photos  Like you, my main lens is 24-200mm Z lens.  I also use a 14-30mm on a Z6ii and have no serious issues with vignette or distortion, nothing that can't be solved with minor cropping.  I was able find a quality used 14-30mm at a price around $800 (be patient).  The size and weight of the 14-30mm allows me to carry it in my pocket, although, honestly, I don't use it that much.  It's a great lens.

Ron

Ron
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

If you're going to be sticking with mirror-less it makes little sense to me to keep investing in F mount glass. From what little I've read, most Z mount glass is better in every way. However, I do understand that money is a four letter word so if you're not doing a lot of architectural photography the 16-35 f/4 should be adequate. 

--Ron

fallout666

fallout666
  • Country Flag
  • Locationcfl area of space coast

your best option is 14-24mm or full frame lens close to it. your best bet is sigma 14-24mm F mount since cheaper then nikon. and not sure if tamron did fix to there 14-24mm from tap in shoe or send in