Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

auto shutter speed with manual lens (d3000)

d3000 autoexposure shutterspeed manual

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

huggy

huggy

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

is there any way i can use automatic shutter speed with a 'manual' lens on my d3000?

what I mean is, although the camera clearly cannot control the aperture, I don't see why it can't control the shutter time based on the amount of light coming through the lens?

(obviously, i'm making the tacit assumption that the metering happens though the camera lens!)

I got the lens thinking i was happy doing things manually (back when the earth was cooling and dinosaurs roamed freely , i used my dads film SLR and had to so all these thing by hand) but never really thought that the problem is i don't have a light meter to hold up and work out exposure times.

I also thought that, I could put in aperture priority mode,  and it would work out the shutter speed. But of course, in aperture mode , it wants you to specify the aperture then IT sets the lens to that - so doesn't work with a manual lens.

it doesn't seem totally beyond the wit of man to me, for it to say 'with whatever aperture you've set, here's what your shutter speed should be'. or even for it to let me put the aperture in!

but it seem that manual is 100% manual  with no help - or everything else requires an auto lens?

is there any way to use the metering of the camera itself?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D3xxx and D5xxx bodies don't meter with non-cpu lenses. To get Ai coupling, you need to take the step up to a D7000, D7100, D7200 or any of the three-digit or single-digit bodies.

You can shoot with a manual lens on your D3000, but you have to guesstimate the exposure, shoot a trial shot and check the histogram for correction.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d3000, autoexposure, shutterspeed, manual