Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Getting started in macro photography

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Cooljac

Cooljac

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
I have searched YouTube and this forum but couldn't find an answer to this. I purchased a reverse ring for my Nikon D3500 to fit the 18-55 lens. With the lens set to what looks like f-11 and attached with the ring, I can see an image on the screen but when I snap the shutter the image comes out completely black. Can someone point me to a tutorial for macro shooting with this particular camera?

krag96

krag96

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Peter, (Merco_61)  had done some great macro work using a double ring where you reverse attach the front of one lens to the front of another for Macro shots.  The ring is a Male-Male ring 52-52mm or 77-77mm whatever size you choose for the two lenses, but I think you need two lenses the same filter size and attach them nose to nose.  Peter used a manual focus 105mm mounted to the camera with a 24mm manual focus lens as the close up attachment on a D700. 

Although I have both a 52mm and a 77mm male/male ring, I haven't tried this method yet.  Better to have Peter stop in and explain things a bit.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The 18-55 is far from ideal for reversed use as there is no manual aperture control. What reproduction scale are you looking for?

When you get a completely black frame, what are your shooting data? Do you get anything if you increase the exposure by setting a longer exposure time or a higher ISO?

A triplet diopter or some extension tubes can give you some extra magnification relatively cheap.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I usually advise against reversing lenses for macro use. To begin with, it's often unnecessary as you can usually achieve better results using other methods. But more importantly, reversing your lens exposes the rear element to an often messy environment. You have to be very fastidious about cleaning and airing out your rear element after each use otherwise you're inviting mold and mildew to attack the glass.  

--Ron