Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Choosing a full frame Nikon DSLR

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Photoglady

Photoglady

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Country Flag

Hey everybody, Photoglady here. I have a D7000 but I want to upgrade to a full frame. I shoot all types of photos, but I"m looking for something that will do real estate/architectural really well. Saw a couple deals on a D4 and the D4s. Any suggestions or advice are much appreciated. Thanks!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The D4 is cheap today, but it isn't the right tool for architectural as it is optimised for speed rather than for great DR. You would be better off with a D850 or, if money is tight, a D810. You want as much dynamic range as you can get, especially for real estate where you would ideally want to use strobes but there seldom is time to set them up perfectly.

If you are getting into that market professionally, remember to budget for a good wide angle zoom, a wide angle tilt/shift lens and a sturdy tripod as well as the body. Depending on your local market, a good drone and the license to use it commercially is probably necessary.

Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Country Flag

Correct, both the D850 and the D810 would be better choices; extended DR,
greater flexibility, not forgetting the grip.

For architecture work, I use the 24 PC and the 85 PC / D810 combo. Both on
a gear head and Gitzo serie 5 tripod.

Have a good time! :P