Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Progression from D3300

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Hole in the ground

Hole in the ground

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
Greetings all,

I have had my D3300 since 2016 and have loved using it. My main interest is shooting airshows, but I also like walkabout photography in the countryside. I’ve accrued a few lenses for it over the years:

Kit 18-55 & 55-200.
Tamron 70-300 (macro and non-VR)
Opteka 500 mirror lens
Sigma 120-400

A fairly budget line up. The Sigma is my airshow lens, but if I’m out in the countryside with only 1 lens then I’ll probably take the Tamron - it’s got reasonable reach and can do macro. The opteka is a fun challenge.

Something I’ve tried a bit in the past is some astro photography and whilst I understand that a crop sensor can only gather so much light, there are some functions that the D3300 doesn’t have (like mirror lock up) that could improve the quality of my shots.

So, I am looking to upgrade my camera body but keep it a crop sensor. I am very tempted by the Z50, but my sigma is too old to be compatible with the ftz adaptor - so what should I be looking at in the DX range? Looking at something around the Z50 price range - could be 2nd hand.

Thoughts?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I would look at DX7xxx bodies or the D500.  I have no idea what the Z50 costs but from a used D7000 (probably least expensive and older technology) to a new D500 (top end DX body) I am sure you will find something that will work for you at a reasonable price.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Is it a firmware problem that makes it incompatible with the FTZ? If that is the case, it is probably not compatible with the D7500 either. The D7200 had problems with some 120-400 lenses as the OS doesn't work, I think the firmware was updated as a running change in production. D7100 and earlier D7xxx bodies should work, though. I don't know how well it works with a D500 with the original lens firmware.

I agree with Tom's recommendation above in principle, but old Sigmas can be problematic with new bodies.