Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D3200 Lens for indoor basketball

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

cplank00

cplank00

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I am a beginner at all of this. I have had this camera for about 5 yrs but I am still a beginner because I do not use it every month.  Mainly for sports with my kiddos and for vacations.  

I was at a basketball tournament this weekend and the pics suck! HAHA  I did put it in manual mode and adjusted it to freeze the movement of the kids but it was dark.  I personally don't want to spend $2500 because I am not using it to make money.  There is a lens that I found and it said it was great for indoor sports. It's the Nikon AF-S DX 55-300 F/4.5-5.6G ED VR.  I do want a 200 or more zoom as well.  I am willing to spend around $600 or so.  Hope someone can guide me in the right direction.  I have taken some great pics with this thing and love using it.  

Thanks  

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I would not consider the 55-300 good for sports due to the maximum aperture. If you have decent light, it might do OK for what you want, however inside you will likely have to increase the ISO to an unacceptable level to be able to get a reasonable exposure.  

Either a zoom or a prime lens with a fixed aperture (as opposed to the variable aperture on the liens you asked about) would be a better choice. 

This isn't to suggest you can't take some sports shots (indoor or outdoor) with a D3200 and a 55-300.  However, that may not be true of every venue you want to shoot in.  Even if you don't get the reach you would like, something with a better aperture might allow you to get images in places the lens you asked about would not allow.  I would want to be sure I was able to capture images first.  

• Jerry_ likes this

Bengan

Bengan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStockholm

Site Supporter

Why not have a look at Tamron 70-210/f4. It's quite good, affordable and light